Re: [ontolog-forum] AJAX vs. the Giant Global Graph

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:17:18 -0400
Pavithra wrote:
> Dr. Sowa and Ed,
>
> The discussion about web based architecture and semantic web is
> interesting.
>
> But however, there is another architecture pattern that IBM had done
> some research on and rest of the industry got trained on... Service
> Oriented Architecture.  For example, a google search and results
> follows SOA pattern.
>
> Since there are a  whole lot of people out there that are implementing
> SOA, should n't we talk of integrating SOA and Semantic Web ??

SOA is predominantly about SOAP based RPCs.    (01)

You can, and this already happens, take a SOAP RPC and treat it like a
DBMS Call Level Interface style of API. Net effect, you simply make an
EAV style of Linked Data graph from the output. This is something we
have done for a while via middleware [1] built into our Virtuoso product.    (02)

"Semantic Web" is a moniker I stay away from since I believe its okay as
a project name i.e. "Semantic Web Project", but beyond that (i.e., when
you remove "Project") it's a classic misnomer :-)

> Or Does service oriented architecture pattern is an architectural
> pattern that support Semantic web already?  ( I kind of have to think
> of use cases to answer this question..) or are they subset of each other?
>
> I felt SOA is the missing link here..  but  I could be wrong ... but
> worth contemplating about..

SOA isn't missing, we just need SOA community to take time to understand
how they too can mesh their data globally via the EAV data model :-)    (03)

Links:    (04)

1.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/screencasts/virtuoso-rdf-middleware3.swf
-- animation demonstrating the mechanics of the Sponger re. production
of RDF based Linked Data Spaces
2. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtSponger --
general information page (we can transform more than 30 APIs and
resources types into RDF based Linked meshes)
3. http://uriburner.com -- a public service that demonstrates the
Virtuoso Sponger Middleware's functionality behind a domain
4. http://uriburner.com/fct -- an interface that allows you to perform
Precision Search & Find via faceted navigation of EAV model .    (05)

Regards,    (07)

Kingsley Idehen
President & CEO
OpenLink Software