[ontolog-forum] NCBO Webinar - James Malone, Feb. 3

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Trish Whetzel <plwhetzel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 00:06:47 -0800
The next NCBO Webinar will be held Wednesday, February 3 at 10am PT. Please note there will not be a VOIP option and attendees must call into the teleconference.

The Webinar will be presented by Dr. James Malone, from the European Bioinformatics Institute. The title of the presentation will be “Modeling gene _expression_ sample variables with an application ontology”. Below is information on how to join the online meeting and accompanying teleconference. For a schedule of the 2010 presentations or for more information about the NCBO Seminar series, see: http://www.bioontology.org/seminar-series.

TITLE: Modeling gene _expression_ sample variables with an application ontology

ABSTRACT: Describing biological sample variables with ontologies is complex due to the cross-domain nature of experiments. Ontologies help in providing annotation solutions, however, for cross-domain investigations, multiple ontologies are needed to represent the experimental data. Such ontologies are subject to rapid change, are often very large and are not interoperable and present complexities that are a barrier to users of biological resources. In this talk I will present our approach to curating gene _expression_ experimental data with an application ontology, the Experimental Factor Ontology (EFO), designed to meet cross-domain, application focused use cases. I will also describe the additional querying power such an ontology now gives us in our applications, such as the Gene _expression_ Atlas and ArrayExpress at EBI. Our approach demonstrates a successful methodology for consuming and applying domain ontologies in a real-world data repository application.

WEBEX DETAILS:
Topic: NCBO Webinar Series