Re: [ontolog-forum] blogic iswc keynote

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:25:52 -0600

On Dec 15, 2009, at 5:23 PM, Christopher Menzel wrote:    (01)

> On Dec 14, 2009, at 10:48 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
>> In fact, most of the differences between Common Logic and the old
>> KIF result from the requirements for making Common Logic support
>> the semantics of RDF.
>
> I believe that is in fact false but it *could* have been true. :-)
> In fact, by my recollection, the differences arose, first, from the
> realization that we needed to move to an abstract syntax that could
> encompass most any existing or proposed language and, second, the
> need for a completely type free syntax and semantics to accommodate
> the syntactic anarchy one finds on the web.  Pat might recall
> differently, but I don't recall RDF playing any actual motivational
> role in CL's development and that it was a happy accident that RDF
> syntax could be so easily be represented as a CL (sub)dialect and
> that a semantics for RDF could be built so readily from ideas out of
> CL semantics.    (02)

Chris is right, the CL thinking came first, though I wouldn't call the
RDF situation a happy *accident* exactly. We worked hard to make RDF
CL-compliant. BUt there has been some backflow from the RDF/semantic-
web world into CL, if only as a retrospective justification for the
design choices that we made, especially the type-free syntax which
turns out to have this wonderful property of being web-portable.    (03)

Pat    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)