Re: [ontolog-forum] named graphs and rdfg:subGraphOf

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joel Bender <jjb5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:47:05 -0400
Jakub,    (01)

> :f rdfg:subGraphOf :g does not hold if :f and :g are specified as follows:
>
> :f {
>       :a rdfs:subclassOf :c .
> }
>
> :g {
>       :a rdfs:subclassOf :b .
>       :b rdfs:subclassOf :c .
> }    (02)

When dealing with graphs of triples, I have found it useful to translate
them into quads.    (03)

     :a rdfs:subClassOf :c :f .
     :a rdfs:subClassOf :b :g .
     :b rdfs:subClassOf :c :g .    (04)

Now you can run queries of (?s ?p ?o :f) and make sure they can unify
with (?s ?p ?o :g) and you can see that there is no subgraph.  Now
create a new graph of things that are entailed in :g, and call it...    (05)

     :a rdfs:subClassOf :c :h .    (06)

Now assert that everything in :g is also in :h, and put that fact into
your database as well, into a graph that is reserved for these kinds of
assertions...    (07)

     :g rdfg:subGraphOf :h :universe .    (08)

and you'll see by running the same tests that :f is a subgraph if :h.    (09)

The :universe is where I put all kinds of stuff about when jobs were
run, who ran them, what graphs the jobs created, etc.  I've been calling
this "provenance" information, but keeping my voice down because there's
a chance I'm using the term incorrectly.    (010)

Joel    (011)