[ontolog-forum] FW: Semantic Systems

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:13:36 -0700

John and Arun and Ronald,    (01)

To put it in a few words; I'm looking for a way to use the LGP, with its
dependency grammar for English, to organize all possible sentential forms in
ways that a computer can associate new phrases with old ones.      (02)

The LGP has lots of meta tags, one for each syntactic category they define a
rule for.  Each of those meta tags is marking something about the sentence,
primarily its syntactic structure as shown by the graph.      (03)

I want to store and retrieve sentences/phrases/words associated through
semantic links to the software objects that interpret them.  In Winograd's
blocks world, that was a minimal complexity demo of principle.  But to more
effectively scale up a QA system, lots of those software objects, and lots
of their semantic links to sentences/phrases/words representing the same
concepts, are needed.      (04)

Is this simply too big a project at this time?  Or is there some practical
sized way to associate semantics with the LGP English parses so the parsed
statements can be simulated.      (05)

-Rich    (06)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper
EnglishLogicKernel.com
Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com    (07)