Re: [ontolog-forum] One new English word every 98 minutes

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: ravi sharma <drravisharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:24:00 -0400
John

I conversed with Prof. Wigner many times as he was my Professor's colleague and used to come to Yale and we used to travel together up to Knoxville and I would continue to Huntsville during Apollo Program. Similar to your quality he was approachable and extremely humble, but behind that demeanor was a strength of steel?
  • His Two Well Known contributions used Math (there might be others as well - he was chemical engineer who was very good at math and obviously physics where he received his Nobel Prize).
    1. The most profound use of Group Theory in Quantum Mechanics gives us understanding of quantum states of bound matter and provides understanding of strong interactions in bound nuclei different energy levels and orbits, spins in terms of representations, etc. This has limited non-linear applicability to real nuclei.
    2. The Second one is less involved and is known as Breit-Wigner Formula for Nuclear Reactions. This is like Newton's law but for many-bodied nuclei near each other.
  • Now I want to comment on adequacy of mathematics: Yes when used in applicable range (e.g. linear, quadratic, etc.) it is elegant and explains physics very very well.
  • But most of Nature, such as many-body problem, is either extremely non-linear, tightly coupled, subject to neural-like complex situations or such that relevant mathematics is yet to be identified, discovered, or applied and often we go to numeric or simulated solutions. Especially for Phenomena such as Curvatures near Black-holes or other singularities in Particle physics. Wilczek uses some of it in Particle Symmetry (Nobel Prize 2004).
  • What is the connection to languages? Math is the most precise representation of language and stems from reasoning and this is the connection with Ontology. English as spoken today is poorer in ambiguity but since it is widely used in the world, it will be, thanks to NLP efforts, made less ambiguous similar to Microsoft operating systems being continuously improved mainly through user feedback and debugging.
  • The richness of language and its brevity like math is derived from formulae (Sutras in Sanskrit and as Azamat mentioned Buddhist Logic - also derived from Sanskrit) but pre-supposes a lot of Context and Concept understanding. This is the fundamental requirement for different Ontologies to Interconnect, synchronize or inter-operate.
  • I fully concur with your thoughts for Precision - it is for purpose, I am not sure if Tensor Calculus would not need to be modified for Kerr formalism for Black-holes and similarly there would be a large number of digits after decimals in the orbit required for precise landing on Jupitor's Moon.
 Best Regards.
--
Thanks.
Ravi