Re: [ontolog-forum] One new English word every 98 minutes

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Martin Hepp (UniBW)" <martin.hepp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:49:46 +0200
I did some quantitative studies (preliminary) trying to assess what typical delays for consensus in standardization of terminology or structures mean for the coverage of the current vocabulary in the artifact specifying the vocabulary.

In case you are interested:

Hepp, Martin: E-Business Vocabularies as a Moving Target: Quantifying the Conceptual Dynamics in Domains, Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (EKAW2008), September 29 - October 3, 2008 (forthcoming), Acitrezza, Italy, Springer LNCS, Vol. 5268, pp. 388-403.

PDF at

http://www.heppnetz.de/files/ConceptualDynamics-EKAW2008-CRC-final6.pdf

Best
Martin

Joel Bender wrote:
Adrian,

According to the Global Language Monitor (
http://www.languagemonitor.com/no-of-words ), there's a new English word
with significant usage every 98 minutes.

Too bad it doesn't seem to indicate how many words are no longer
significant.

So, does this strengthen the case for controlled vocabularies, or
indicate that the task of controlling the English language is hopeless?

Depending on my audience I have a propensity to be a bit sesquipedalian,
  but that's only to compensate for the drudgery of being confined to
such controlled languages, and like other programmers that aren't
renowned for their ability to pontificate illustriously, I just end up
sounding like a long winded n00b.

:-)

Joel

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail: mhepp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
phone:  +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:    +49-(0)89-6004-4620
www:    http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/ (group)
 	http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:  mfhepp

Check out the GoodRelations vocabulary for E-Commerce on the Web of Data!

Webcast explaining the Web of Data for E-Commerce:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Tool for registering your business:
----------------------------------
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
-------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe

Project page and resources for developers:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Upcoming events:
Full-day tutorial at ESWC 2009: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in One Day: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey

http://www.eswc2009.org/program-menu/tutorials/70

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009: Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology
More information: http://www.semantic-conference.com/session/1881/

Slides: http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp