Re: [ontolog-forum] Common Logic and decimal numerals

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Leal <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 10:36:15 +0100
Dear All,    (01)

The brief exchange on decimal numerals prompts a tenuously related thought -
not all of life is easily tackled using logic, least of all mathematics.
MathML is a practical notation which covers a lot of mathematics, and is
simple because it has no ambitions to be anything more than a practical
notation.    (02)

We could gain benefits from defining good interfaces between notations which
can represent some logic (such as OWL) and MathML. We could also think about
how MathML takes advantage of ontologies.    (03)

Consider the thing that is 5 metres. In MathML we would happily define this
thing as follow:    (04)

 <apply>
  <times/>
  <cn>5</cn>
  <ci definitionURL="&unit;Metre"/>
 </apply)     (05)

>From an ontology for quantities and units, it should be possible to learn that:
a) there is a "times-like" operator on (real, length) pairs which evaluates
to give a real,
b) there is a length (called the Metre) which everybody knows,
and hence that the MathML is valid.    (06)

There are many quantities for which similar statements could not be made.    (07)

Best regards,
David    (08)

At 15:34 02/06/2009 -0700, you wrote:
>On Tuesday June 2 2009, Jawit Kien wrote:
>> In http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/CL/SW2SCL.html
>> there is a phrase:

>> My question is, did the future version of Common Logic provide the
>> functionality to quantify into Common Logic quoted strings ?
>
>To date only one version of Common Logic has been defined.
>

>> JK
>

>Randall Schulz

David Leal
CAESAR Systems Limited
registered office: 29 Somertrees Avenue, Lee, London SE12 0BS
registered in England no. 2422371
tel:      +44 (0)20 8857 1095
mob:      +44 (0)77 0702 6926
e-mail:   david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx