Re: [ontolog-forum] web-syllogism-and-worldview - Early pre-lingual comm

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 14:58:41 -0400
This thread about early childhood language, memories, and cognition
has persisted for quite a while.  For anybody interested in this
topic, I recommend the following reading list of published articles
for the Laboratory for Development Studies at Harvard:    (01)

    http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~lds/readinggroup/    (02)

Following is an example of one of the articles:    (03)

http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~lds/readinggroup/Mandler-How_to_build_baby_conceptual_primitives-PsychRev1992.pdf
How to build a baby: conceptual primitives    (04)

Rather than browse through the articles separately, I found it
easier just to download them all.    (05)

Another research topic that has migrated into popular applications
is the finding that babies are able to learn sign language several
months before they begin to speak their first recognizable words.    (06)

If you type "baby sign language" to Google, you'll get lots of
popular web sites for parents who are teaching infants sign
language in order to communicate with them more effectively
at an earlier stage.    (07)

A related topic is the research on the relationship of music and
rhythm to language.  Following is an article about parrots
dancing (or head bobbing) in time to music (with video clips):    (08)

    Birds show off their dance moves    (09)

The following book has a good review of the research on music,
language, and related cognitive abilities:    (010)

    Mithen, Steven (2006) The Singing Neanderthals: The Origin of Music,
    Language, Mind, and Body, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.    (011)

Mithen's review of other people's research is good, but I seriously
doubt his hypothesis that the Neanderthals did *not* have language.    (012)