Re: [ontolog-forum] Last Call: OWL 2 and rdf:text primitive datatype

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 14:42:34 +0100
Dear John,    (01)

We are I think agreed.    (02)

> The identity conditions for sets ensure that equality is determined
> by their elements.  That principle is independent of whether the
> elements are specified by extension or intension.    (03)

[MW] Exactly.

> To emphasize the importance of intensional definitions, consider
> just sets of integers.  First, note that a finite set can be
> specified by extension:
>
>     S = {6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21}
>
> The same set could also be specified by intension:
>
>    S = { x | x is an integer, x>4, x<23, and x is divisible by 3}    (04)

[MW] Indeed. I would probably to both in a case like this.

> But note that no infinite set can be specified by extension in
> any finite statement in any language with a finite alphabet.
> It's always *necessary* to state some rule or predicate that
> defines the set by intension.  For example,
>
>   1. Let 6 be an element in the set S.
>
>   2. If x is an element of S, then so is x+3.
>
>   3. S is the smallest set that satisfies conditions #1 and #2.    (05)

[MW] Yes. Though as you  note, only having an intensional definition does
not stop it being a set, since the extension is unchanging.

> For many finite sets, such as the set of all cows or the set
> of all molecules on planet earth at a given time slice, a
> specification by extension is not possible by any known method.
>
> For any 4D region that includes the future, no specification
> by extension is possible even for much smaller sets.      (06)

[MW] Only if you have a fully deterministic system - in practice a rarity.    (07)

> I can,
> for example, specify such a set by intension:
>
>     The winning numbers for next week's New York State Lottery.
>
> But there is no way to evaluate the denotation before the date.    (08)

[MW] Quite.    (09)

Regards    (010)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (011)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (012)