Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological Means for Systems Engineering

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 03:46:33 +0700
Hi Howard

My question is how the discipline of ontologies can be use to extend, enrich, or facilitate the deployment and exploitation of the work by the community which faces the real business challenge of exchanging and sharing information across a heterogeneous set of tools.

Ontologies can be used in  a variety of different ways to acheive a multiplicity of objectives. You say that agreement over terminology is achieved, so what you have, in my interpretation of your statement, is a controlled vocabulary.
This is an essential ontological artifacts, as well as a great starting point. However, what happens when some staff for some reason do not use the correct term with the intended meaning, despite the agreement acheived? An ontological approach can be adopted to support systems constraints , so that such terminology is actually used as intended in email, documents, processes etc

So assume that tomorrow someone working at the edge of our infoormation network creates a new class. A system that uses an ontology would cross reference some parameters to make sure that the class name, and other class variables, are not in conflict with the agreed schema.

Now, when it comes to checking terminology this is important, but also relatively straight forward. When it comes to check consistency of data flow, and to validate certain processes, say, this becomes a bit more complicated.

An ontological approach can also be used to support factors optimisation (as in production efficiency),

In general, as well implemented ontological approach can help to reduce information errors, it is going to help your overall quality assurance and reduce fault injection

The other side of the coin is that a poorly implemented ontological approach, or over relianece on it, may become a black hole
(lots of ontological efforts are weak or slow because of poor project management)

Paola Di Maio

Howard Mason
BAE Systems Corporate IT Office