[ontolog-forum] Proceedings: Emerging Ontology Showcase: session-2 - Wou

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@xxxxxxxx>, Ken <kenb@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Sven Van Poucke <svenvanpoucke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 12:36:15 -0700
We had, on Thursday 16-Oct-2008, our session-2 of the "Emerging
Ontology Showcase" mini-series, an initiative co-championed by
Professor Ken Baclawski (Northeastern University) and Mr. Mike Bennett
(Hypercube Ltd., UK). Professor Baclawski presided over this session.    (01)

After a brief opening, Sven Van Poucke, MD (Ziekenhuis Oost-Limburg
Genk, Belgium) presented on their WoundOntology, and their community -
the Woundontology Consortium - that is responsible for the
WoundOnotlogy's design, development, application and promotion. Dr.
Van Poucke's talk was entitled:  "Ontologists and Domain Experts
focusing on Chronic Wounds : Different Worlds on the Same Planet?" He
pointed out the key challenge facing the development of ontologies
when the ontologists and the domain experts have very different
expertise and practically share nothing in common, and solicited
support from communities of practice, like Ontolog, and help bridge
that gap.    (02)

That talk was followed by a presentation given by Professor Martin
Hepp (Bundeswehr University, Munich, Germany), entitled: "The Good
Relations Ontology: Making Semantic Web-based E-Commerce a Reality,"
during which he shared with us the design considerations and other
insights gained through the development of their "Good Relations"
ontology. Both talks were really wonderful; and an active Q&A and open
discussion ensued.    (03)

A huge "Thank You" should go to our two featured speakers - Dr. Sven
Van Poucke and Professor Martin Hepp. And, as always, our
appreciations also go out to all who joined us at the event.    (04)

Full proceedings - including agenda, abstracts, slides, audio
recording, podcast and the transcript of the live chat session are all
online now. They can be accessed from the session page on the
OntologWiki at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_09_25    (05)

The proceedings, and in particular, Dr. Van Poucke and Professor
Hepp's contributions, are again, contributing to the Ontolog body of
knowledge that this community is collectively building. We shall
continue to look to this mini-series to provide opportunities for
community members to give exposure to their new work products, and to
provide a setting for ontology developers to exchange ideas, help
improve quality, as well as promote collaboration and convergence.
Thank you, everyone!    (06)

Best regards. =ppy    (07)

Peter Yim,  Co-conveners, ONTOLOG
with
"Emerging Ontology Showcase" mini-series co-champions,
Ken Baclawski  &  Mike Bennett    (08)