Re: [ontolog-forum] just another thought regarding: Five challengesfor"s

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Phil Murray <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:53:04 -0400
Azamat --    (01)

On behalf of myself, at least, thanks for the pointer to PIMO. When I
looked at the Social Semantic Desktop some time ago, it appeared that
NEPOMUK had no option for Windows users, so it was not possible for me
to evaluate it. Looks like that changes if the tools become available on
Eclipse. Others can correct me on this if I'm wrong. I was also unable
to evaluate MIT's Haystack, in spite of David Karger's kind offer to
help. That was unfortunate, because I thought Haystack showed great promise.    (02)

My announcement that "Personal Information Managers fail" was too
exuberant and led to misinterpretations by Lars, I think. It was also a
bit off topic, but I'm glad it led to this discussion.    (03)

Regarding PIMs, I was talking about everything I have encountered to
date. (See the interesting list of "mind-mapping" tools at
http://www.mind-mapping.org/, which includes many products called
"PIMs.") I have explored or evaluated hundreds of PIMs, going back to
the days of DOS. In spite of the ingenuity of many of these products, I
still think they fail to meet expectations primarily because they suffer
from isolation. So Lars' objections were no objections at all, to me. I
agree.    (04)

Rich's comments make good sense, too.    (05)

The devil is in the implementation, and I look forward to returning to
NEPOMUK and PIMO.    (06)

Thanks!    (07)

     Phil    (08)