Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:39:05 +0100
John,    (01)

I tend to use the word "Thing" for exactly the same reasons you give. So
many people in the space I am in are either familiar with data modelling
or OO terminology that Entity (used in Entity Relationship Diagrams) and
Type (type of variable in programming) are unusable. As is Class of
course. Entity is the lest useful because so many business people have
learnt a bit of ERM modelling and use it when they should be specifying
a view of their reality.    (02)

People balk at first when I use "Thing" because it sounds so
unscientific. That works in its favour because it makes it clear that
this is not something that some bunch of technies have cooked up, but is
a term describing the world of real physical reality. Once people
understand that, we are in a position to start talking about real things
rather than some perceived new programming / paradigm / general BS set
of terms which they were expecting to hear about.    (03)

Unfortunately now that OWL is becoming well known among the technical
community, Thing will probably go the same way as the rest.    (04)

Also people tend to assume that a "Thing" must be a concrete,
independent, continuant thing, when in fact it can be concrete or
abstract, continuant or occurrent, and independent, relative or
mediating. Having all those categories of thing does stretch the
natural-language use of the word Thing, I admit. But I feel it's still
the word with the least extraneous associations either among technical
people or among business people who have had to deal with technical
people over the years. Which pretty much covers everyone you need to
talk to about ontologies.    (05)

Mike    (06)

John F. Sowa wrote:    (07)

Mike Bennett