Re: [ontolog-forum] The Open world assumption shoe does not always fit -

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: semanticweb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, public-semweb-lifesci hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@xxxxxx>, semantic_web@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, welty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Toby Considine" <tobyconsidine@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:57:15 -0400

Date had it right. NULL is neither true nor false.

The most fundamental problem of constructing any kind of knowledge in a space as large as the internet is heterogeneity. The most fundamental strength when working with heterogeneity is knowing what you don't know.

If I remember anything from my few years in biochemical research, decades ago, is that the most important attribute of the alert researcher of complex systems is to look for what is not identical in "identical" attribute sets that do not yield identical results. Usually this goes back to re-examining the attributes that everyone *knows* are unimportant or identical.

I guess these are three parallel statements that I find Pat's last two letters appealing and esthetically correct, and that I find his defense of non-monotonic logic compelling

As a new-comer in the semantic space, what is CL, where should I start to read on it.

Thanks

tc

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." -- Alexander Graham Bell
Toby Considine
Chair, OASIS oBIX TC http://www.oasis-open.org
Toby.Considine@xxxxxxxxx
Phone: (919)619-2104