Re: [ontolog-forum] Attempto Parsing Engine (APE) is now open source

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 09:15:20 -0400
Hi John --

Yes, Attempto is probably the best generally available parser translator for controlled English so far.

However, per our previous discussions, the grammar-dictionary approach it embodies has severe problems when it ventures outside the research laboratory.  In this regard, it's the latest of a long line of superbly researched grammar-dictionary-based systems that have so far failed to make it into widespread practical use.  One reason is that the English language is a rapidly moving target -- think of all the new meanings that have arrived with the Net -- the verb "to Google" comes to mind.

It would be nice if the approach did work in practice, since it combines the great intellectual traditions of Chomsky's grammars, and of the Classical logicians, and of John Sowa's fine contributions to the classical logic tradition.  However, there's a certain element of "it ought to work so it's going to work" about the approach.

As you know, there's another approach, with far less cultural history behind it, but which happens to work.  It's open vocabulary, and largely open syntax, and it's in the system that's online at the site below.  It avoids the pitfall  of using only classical negation, long ago discounted by Ray Reiter and others as being not the way that databases are actually used.  (In an employee database, do you really want to have to list all the people in the world who don't work for a Company?)

I'm sure our debate about the two approaches will continue.  But at present, there's one approach which folks think ought to work, and there's a different one which does work.  For example, I talked with the Attempto  folks about whether they could do the example in [1], and at the time they said that the arithmetic involved was the problem.   It's a good challenge problem, but even if someone can do it in Attempto, the grammar and dictionary maintenance ball and chain remains.  Plus the fact that authors and users quickly try to step outside any controlled vocabulary and syntax.

                                   Cheers,  -- Adrian

[1]  www.reengineeringllc.com/Oil_Industry_Supply_Chain_by_Kowalski_and_Walker.pdf

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English over SQL
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering