Re: [ontolog-forum] [Obo-relations] Heterarchy & Hierarchy, oh my my

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Wacek Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 08:13:26 +0200
Right, ontolog forum is not so susceptible to your evangelia.  But why
not just answer the question?    (01)

vQ    (02)

Werner Ceusters wrote:
> Oops and sorry. I got W's original mail through the OBO rel weblist. I
> didn't want to spam on the ontolog forum.
> Please accept my apologies.

>       from [Ryan Kohl] [Permanent Link][Original]
>
>       To:  "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>       From:  Ryan Kohl <kohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>       Date:  Fri, 02 May 2008 15:59:13 -0400
>
> Why wouldn't 'married man' be a universal?  By most standard ontological
> definitions, a universal is something that can be instantiated by more
> than one thing (e.g. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/properties/).
> Even under Barry Smith and Pierre Grenon's definition (from
> http://ontology.buffalo.edu/bfo/SQU.pdf), a universal "is an entity with
> a spatiotemporal existence which is yet distinct from its extension (the
> set of its instances) at any given time." (page 1, 2nd paragraph).  What
> am I missing here?    (01)
>

>> BFO and OBO aim for representation that is faithful to reality, not for
>> computational efficiency or "easyness" of reasoning.
>> BFO for sure, and good OBO ontologies (there are not many yet) represent
>> universals. The monohierarchy applies to universals. "married man" does
>> not denote a universal, so would never be present in a good OBO ontology.
>> If there are places in OBO ontologies where the priority of distinction is
>> an issue, then that probably is a place where some mistake against the
>> "only universals" rule is made. Better to correct such mistakes, than to
>> relax the principles.
>>
>> If you want to have "married man" in some application ontology (in
>> contrast to reference ontologies as BFO and what OBO ontologies ought to
>> be), then it could go there as a defined class, defined on the basis of
>> the universals "man" and "marriage".

>       (03)

Wacek Kusnierczyk, MD PhD    (04)

Email: waku@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: +47 73591875, +47 72574609    (05)

Department of Computer and Information Science (IDI)
Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering (IME)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Sem Saelands vei 7, 7491 Trondheim, Norway    (06)

Bioinformatics & Gene Regulation Group
Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine (IKM)
Faculty of Medicine (DMF)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Laboratory Center, Erling Skjalgsons gt. 1, 7030 Trondheim, Norway    (07)