[ontology-summit] founding members meeting' , ownership of 'open ontolog

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ontology Summit 2008" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Steve Ray" <ray@xxxxxxxx>, "Michael Gruninger" <gruninger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:42:23 +0700
Greetings all    (01)

It was a pleasure to finally meet everybody at the Summit, and thanks
again for efforts being put up. The forum is a great resource for all
of us, and as the community grows it is important that 'active
community members' take more responsiblity for its development.
I hope it continues to stay that way.    (02)

 I was surprised to learn today about an 'open ontology founders
meeting' which took place in January    (03)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR/ConferenceCall_2008_01_23#nid17D9    (04)

because I found no reference in my inbox nor in the list archives, to
any invitation to participate in such meeting.
Can someone point me to any announcement about that meeting (before it
took place?)    (05)

Specifically on that wiki page, ther is a reference to some not better
specified IPR being reserved, but no acknowledgment of prior
work and existing IPR, which is in contradiction of some of the
principles of our community and forum, and could possibly cause
conflict    (06)

Being an early proponent of 'Open Ontology', both in terms of wording
and concepts (I have published papers on this forum and elsewhere
about this work) and having already extracted a set of metadata from
the framework, which our metadata champion Michael did not know of,
(while the rest of this community did, as we discussed it extensively
on this list)  I was particularly surprised to learn that the
participants to the 2008 summit have not been informed of the pre
existing , and prior work under the same heading, and related
pre-existing IPR.    (07)

Issues such as 'ownership' and control of 'open ontology' concept and
derived artifacts should be addressed, before they can be claimed and
trademarked by related parties.    (08)

I would thefore encourage clarification as required, as well as
acnkowledgment of prior IPR, in order to avoid potential conflicts,
and some information relating to such new lists where the OOR work is
being discussed where we can cross reference the contributions made to
date, so that they can be duly acknowledged by the body of knowledge
which is being generated.    (09)

I would encourage such issues to be addressed and clarified before the
communique issued, as some of the statements therein contained may
constitue an infringement of existing copyright, and this forum
brought up to date on the new OOR list (where to join?) and other
developments    (010)

I look forward to developments    (011)

--
Paola Di Maio