[ontolog-forum] Proceedings: Ontolog invited Speakers - AsumanDogac and

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: James Bryce Clark <jamie.clark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Yalin Yarimagan <yalin.yarimagan@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 12:03:51 -0800
We had, on Thursday 06-March-2008, featured another really fine work
in the application frontiers of semantics. Invited speakers Professor
Dr. Asuman Dogac and Dr. Yalin Yarimagan presented their research and
development on "Semantic Support for Electronic Business Document
interoperability."    (01)

The speakers shared with us the details on how they, through the use
of an ontology (the UBL Ontology), were able to achieve machine
processable translations between electronic documents that are coded
in different XML vocabularies based on the UN/CEFACT Core Component
Technical Specification (CCTS).    (02)

Professor Dogac went on to suggest the formation of a standards
working group that might be established to continue to pursue this
approach, so as to allow better support for e-business document
translations and interoperability. This is a worthwhile cause indeed;
I hope members from the community would step up to the plate and
participate in that work and help get that standards work group come
into being.    (03)

Thank you, Asuman and Yalin, for sharing your work and insights with
the community. And as always, our appreciations go out to all who
joined us at the event; especially for their contributions to the rich
discussion during the last segment of the session.    (04)

Proceedings of the session are captured on our wiki page, at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_03_06    (05)

In particular, full audio recording of the session, as well as the
podcast of it, is now available -
see: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_03_06#nid1AYV
... It was a bit unfortunate that the audio quality during the call
was not as good as we had hope for. Anyhow, we have made our best
attempt to improve the recording quality during post-processing, and
the session should be quite intelligible.    (06)

This contribution from Professor Dr. Asuman Dogac and Dr. Yalin
Yarimagan, and others (like Mr. Yildiray Kabak) who participated in
the presented work, added yet another valuable piece to the body of
knowledge on ontology and ontological engineering that our community
is building together. Thank you again, Asuman, Yalin and everyone!    (07)

Best regards. =ppy    (08)

Peter Yim
Co-convener, ONTOLOG    (09)

P.S. Again, we will be featured Mr. James Bryce Clark, Director of
Standards Development of OASIS next Thursday, in an effort to help
drive the standards work that Professor Dogac alluded to. Therefore,
please do join us next Thursday. Register your participation (in our
Thu 2008.03.13 session) if you haven't already done so. See details
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_03_13    (010)

Watch our [ontolog-invitation] list for further announcements of
Ontolog events that may be of interest, or browse the listing under
the "News & Announcements" section at our Ontolog WikiHomePage (at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidW ) for our
upcoming events.    (011)

An archive of noteworthy past Ontolog events can be found at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ    (012)

Tx. =ppy
--     (013)