[ontolog-forum] non-linearity and AI

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rob Freeman" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:27:32 +0800
John,

A new thread, to try and keep the issues clear.

I agree there may be some systems usually expressed in terms of reals which seem to have the property I want. Chaos and catastrophe theory would be two. But I'm not sure that "reals" sums them up. Frankly my own intuitions about them come almost entirely from the contemplation of assemblies: solid-state physics or the properties of gases.

The dialogue you have pointed us to is very interesting. I have often wondered at the connection myself. Though usually from the point of view of computational theory. It struck me that the power of computation might explain certain odd properties of these non-linear systems (their "random" character, to be frank :-) Perhaps the dialogue can be productive the other way round as well. But let us be specific what it is about either which is important.

For instance, all the "real" systems which interest me seem to be "non-linear". Would that narrow it down a bit?