[ontolog-forum] Modal Ontological Representations

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Charles D Turnitsa <CTurnits@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 01:37:00 -0400
Pat,

 You pointed out that most ontology languages aren't modal.  This topic interests me in the extreme, because I see that any system that has a non-trivial internal model of reality is likely to have modal appreciations of that reality as system state changes occur.  The only solution to having an accurate ontological representation of such a system is either to capture all possible data-dependent understandings of the internally modeled reality (perhaps with rules stating when such-and-such a relationship or attribution would apply and when it won't) - OR - to have a multi-modal representation.

 Can you point me in the direction of (1) any languages that do represent modal ontologies, and (2) give what you think such a language would require?

Chuck

>But in any case, I was referring to Tarskian
>semantics for non-modal languages earlier in the
>thread. Most ontology languages aren't modal.
>
>Pat

Chuck

Charles Turnitsa
Project Scientist
Virginia Modeling, Analysis & Simulation Center
Old Dominion University Research Foundation
(757) 638-6315 (voice)
cturnits@xxxxxxx