Re: [ontolog-forum] Proceedings: Ontolog invited Speaker session - Dr. T

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 00:45:38 -0800
On Thursday 01-Mar-2007, we had, again, one of the best attended
virtual session, when Dr. Tom Gruber, the ex-Stanford
scientist who defined the term "ontology" in the sense we apply
to its use in computer science, artificial intelligence and the
semantic web these days, presented to the community. Dr.
Gruber's talk was on: "Grande Challenges for Ontology Design"    (01)

Another very timely talk that is relevant to our ongoing
"Ontology Summit 2007" discourse. Dr. Gruber took the
pragmatist's view and an engineering approach toward ontologies.
challenging the community to design ontologies that Our
appreciations go out to the notion that ontologies are only as
good as they can enable applications that matter. We want to
thank Dr. Gruber for a sharing with us his insights, and to all
for participating & contributing to the extensive discussion that
followed Dr. Gruber's thought provoking talk.    (02)

Proceedings of the session are captured on our wiki page, at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_03_01    (03)

In particular, full audio recording of the session is now
available - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_03_01#nidUD1     (04)

... The archives of this session is adding another key
perspective onto the body of knowledge on ontology and
ontological engineering that our community is building together.
Thanks again, Tom!    (05)

Best regards. =ppy    (06)

P.S. Upcoming events: (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidW)    (07)

* Thursday, 8-March-2007 starting 18:30 UTC - Dr. Matthew West
(Shell) will be presenting the 5th session in the "Database And
Ontology" Mini-Series. Dr. Adrian Walker, CTO of Reengineering
LLC, will be our invited speaker; he will be giving a talk on
"Usability, Databases and Ontologies"    (08)

* An archive of noteworthy past Ontolog events can be found at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ    (09)

Tx. =ppy
--     (010)