Re: [ontolog-forum] Is modal logic first-order?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:05:40 -0600
On Feb 22, 2007, at 4:41 PM, Till Mossakowski wrote:    (01)

> During today's NIST-Ontolog-NCOR Mini-Series conference, there was
> a short discussion about whether modal logic with the usual
> Kripke semantics is first-order or not.
>
> Just to clarify the point:
> - in general, modal logic (let it be propositional or first-order
> modal
>   logic) with Kripke semantics is of second-order nature.
> - more exotic modal logics may be truly second-order, like provability
>   logic obtained from Loeb's formula
>     Box (Box p -> p) -> Box p
>   The second-order nature comes in here, because the above formula
>   implicitly is universally quantified over p, but p is interpreted
> as a
>   set of worlds - i.e. we have a second-order quantification.
> - For the usual systems like S4 or S5 etc. (S5 is used for DOLCE),
> this
>   second-order quantification luckily is equivalent to a first-order
>   sentence. For example, the S4 axiom
>     Box p -> Box Box p
>   holds iff the accessibility relation is transitive, which is easily
>   expressed in first-order logic.
>   Hence, the second-order quantification can be eliminated and these
>   logics are of first-order nature.    (02)

Thanks Till for this clarification.  I'm afraid I muddied the waters
by mis-hearing Michael's claim about the general stronger-than-first-
order character of modal logic as *ruling out* the possibility of a
truly first-order modal logic like S5 that is characterized by
structures whose accessibility relations can be expressed by first-
order conditions (so-called elementary structures).  General validity
for arbitrary Kripke structures is certainly second-order, and many
interesting and important modal logics require fully second-order
conditions on accessibility, provability logics -- which Michael
brought up in the telecon -- being a particularly important example.
(If I recall correctly, Leob's formula above is only valid in
structures in which accessibility is well-founded, which is of course
well-known to be essentially second-order.)  My apologies for being
less than clear on this point.    (03)

Chris Menzel    (04)