Re: [ontolog-forum] Visual Complexity

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 12:58:32 -0600

GIF image

John, it is your use of "approximation" to characterize ALL models
without exception here that I object to.  Of course, depending on
what it in the world one is trying to represent, a model *might*
necessarily be an approximation, especially if one is modeling
physical phenomena that are inherently vague or (in effect)
infinitely complex and hence which simply cannot be represented with
100% accuracy.  Consider, e.g., modeling a stochastic process or
fluid flow by means of probability theory or differential equations.
However, many physical situations involve, *at a desired level of
granularity*, NO vagueness and NO intractable complexity at all, as
in my previous example involving faculty and administrators at Texas
A&M.  Many ontologies involve this kind of sharply delineated,
unambiguously representable information.  Your diagram above belies
this fact and suggests that models are always in some way false or
inaccurate.  It just ain't so.    (01)

Chris Menzel    (02)