[ontolog-forum] effective juxtaposition

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:48:06 -0500
RE interoperability between CAD, BIM, GIS I think many processes being
developed for physical space could applied to semantic space at the
same time.    (01)

Hopefully in the near future, efficient ontologies accessible to all
the disciplines involved in designing, permitting, engineering,
building, and maintaining property in the real world could be utilized
to create and manage semantic space too. Especially public spaces with
the same repetitious requirements regardless of the facility's design
or purpose. For example, the number of  exits in a building = quick
ways out of complex databases.    (02)

Where it gets tricky is the equivalent of accessible paths - what is
the standard amount of space required per person or numbers of people
in x, y, z sized groups? What signage and services need to be provided
and "ontologized" regardless of the information being accessed? At
what point does a collection of data need to go through essentially a
permit review prior to being used by the public?    (03)

Deborah MacPherson
Accuracy&Aesthetics    (04)

On 1/22/07, Joshua Lieberman <jlieberman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>
> fax: +1 (815) 717-981
>

> On Jan 22, 2007, at 9:33 AM, Deborah MacPherson wrote:
>
> Thanks - I meant their area of expertise. In the cross over between
> architecture and GIS as shown on the slide, I wonder whether design
> and function, or constructability issues and costs, are higher
> priority.
>
> Debbie MacPherson
>
> On 1/21/07, creed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <creed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Deborah -
>
> The slides I sent were from the OWS-4 demonstration. The construction
> analysis component of the demonstration was designed to show how IFCs
> could be integrated with other sources of geospatial information (such as
> from a GIS) by an analyst to determine as quickly as possible where field
> hospital operations could most effectively be deployed. In the case of
> this demonstration, the analysts were from US Army response units - I am
> not sure of their actual names :-)
>
> Regards
>
> Carl
>

> Hi Carl
>
> I will try to participate in OGC and GITA Emerging Technology Summit
> IV, it sounds interesting. On the slides, is the constuction analyst
> typically and architect or engineer doing the design, a contractor
> interested in pricing and constructability issues or a combination? Is
> it one person?
>
> Deborah
>
> On 1/17/07, Carl Reed OGC Account <creed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Deborah -
>
> Really interesting. Some more information. The OGC and NIBS/IAI have a
> memorandum of understanding. We (and our respective memberships) have
> been
> collaborating on a variety of issues related to BIM and IFC
> interoperability
> between the Building, CAD, and Geo domains. Considerable progress has
> been
> made at this more fundamental level. The current state of the work was
> demonstrated last month as part of the OGC Web Services 4
> Interoperability
> initiative. I have attached a couple of slides that capture how IFC
> based
> content can be utilized and integrated with other geo content sources
> for
> use in decision support, in this case for emergency services. At this
> point,
> the work is more focused on getting the technical interoperability
> foundation solid with basic semantics being a component of this work.
>
> And check out http://www.gisuser.com/content/view/10618/ .
>
> The above efforts do not explicitly address making recommendations on
> ontologies that span and connect disciplines, but they are all steps in
> that
> direction and various dialogues have been happening regarding semantics
> and
> ontologies for creating a truly virtual as-built or to be built world.

www.deborahmacpherson.com    (08)

The content of this email may contain private
confidential information. Do not forward, copy,
share, or otherwise distribute without explicit
written permission from all correspondents.    (09)