[ontolog-forum] Proceedings from the Ontolog Community Planning session

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 23:01:49 -0700
With appreciations to everyone who participated at our Thu
2006.10.05 Community Planning Session, and special thanks to Kurt
Conrad who facilitated the session, I am please to advise that we
had a great turnout and a very productive session that day.    (01)

Here are a few highlights:    (02)

1. The proceedings of this planning session can be found at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_10_05
The audio recording of the session is also available in mp3
format (and for telephone playback too, for a limited time) for
archival purposes. (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_10_05#nidQJ9)    (03)

2. A new project named ONION ("ontologies In Ontology") led by
Carl Mattocks will be starting imminently. This is a project to
develop an ontological framework for IT Service Management. Carl
will be posting a proposed charter, a call for participation and
a date for a kick-off meeting soon!    (04)

Various members, including Adam Pease (suggesting extension from
  existing work like SUMO, QOS and other related domain
ontologies), Owen Ambur (suggesting collaboration with ET.gov and
the associated emerging technology component registry), Peter Yim
(offering the CIM3 collaborative work environment infrastructure)
and Jim Disbrow, indicated their interest to help and support the
ONION work.    (05)

ALL: Look out for upcoming announcement(s), if you are interested
to participate.
Ref: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ONION    (06)

3. Spurred from the responses to the "Top Five Ontology-driven
Applications" exercise we just delivered to SICoP, Kurt Conrad,
Bob Smith and Evan Wallace are starting a more comprehensive
project to inventory existing and future applications of this
nature, and possibly to assess, prioritize and/or rank them
afterwards.
Ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologyDrivenApplications    (07)

4. Please note that the Kick-off Session for our "Database And
Ontology" Mini-Series will be coming next Thursday 2006.10.12.
Panelists: Dr. Matthew West (also Moderator), Dr. Leo Obrst & Dr.
Tatiana Malyuta will guide the community in exploring the
landscape, issues and interactions between databases and ontologies.    (08)

Kindly refer to details at the session page at -
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_10_12
and RSVP to me (mailto:peter.yim@xxxxxxxx) to register your
intention to attend. ... 'see' you all then!    (09)

Best regards.  =ppy
--    (010)