[ontolog-forum] Upcoming Events this month (Oct. 2006)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 07:46:02 -0700
For those of you who weren't able join us at last Thursday's
(2006.09.28) conference call, I am excited to report that we had
a really productive session and got a lot done, and paved the way
for some significant happenings to come. Proceedings of that
session are available at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_09_28#nidQE2     (01)

We'll be seeing a few spectacular events unfolding this month.
Let me highlight the salient ones below, and solicit your
attention and participation.    (02)

1. Top 5 List of Ontology-driven applications -- Kurt Conrad and
Bob Smith are already putting together member inputs (ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_09_28#nidQF1).
They will be posting a first cut of the compilation imminently.
That draft will be out for a short review and comment period, and
will then be cleaned up and submitted to SICoP (the US Federal
Government's Semantic Interoperability Community of Practice) who
had requested our input.
... Please provide your comments as soon as you see Kurt's post.
Our deliverable, plus a presentation about our (Ontolog)
Community by Dr. Leo Obrst, will constitute our contribution to
the Fifth Semantic Interoperability for E-Government Conference
on Oct. 10~11, 2006.    (03)

2. On this coming Thursday (2006.10.05), our conference call
session will be devoted to a Community Planning Session. Veteran
facilitator, Kurt Conrad, who had lead our previous planning
exercises, will be back again to guide us at this session. The
Ontolog Community's "relevance", "future direction" and "action
plans" will be examined and put up for discussion again. If you
care, and want to influence where we are heading, then do come
join us this Thursday. See details on the wiki session page at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_10_05
... Please RSVP offline by e-mailing me <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>, so
that we can reserve enough resources to support the session. I
look forward to having you there, in person.    (04)

3. We will be Kicking-off the "Database And Ontology" Mini-Series
with a Panel Session on Thursday (2006.10.12). Dr. Matthew West
(from Shell and University of Leeds, UK; who is leading this
series) will be moderating the session, with Dr. Leo Obrst, Dr.
Tatiana Malyuta and himself (Dr. Matthew West) on the panel. This
mini-series will include multiple speaker and discussion sessions
that will span the next 6 months or so.    (05)

Ref. the discourse to date (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DatabaseAndOntology) and
our discussion last Thursday (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_09_28#nidQG2),
Dr. West had created a list of talks, and is soliciting member
input (especially those who volunteered to be on the series'
program & technical advisory team). Please provide suggestions of
candidate speakers/panelists, and the specific areas of topics
each candidate would best help address (whether on topics already
identified, or on additional relevant areas). Please post your
input to the [ontolog-forum] list (preferred), or (if you want to
be more discreet) off-line to Matthew <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
and myself <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>.    (06)

Watch out for the announcement/invitation of this event, and RSVP
to register your attendance. Bring your friends who are in
database or applications development over too!    (07)

4. The joint NIST-Ontolog-NCOR mini-series on "Ontology
Measurement and Evaluation" will kick-off the immediate following
Thursday (2006.10.19). This series is led by Dr. Steve Ray of
NIST, and he has invited Dr. Chris Welty of IBM Research to
keynote this opening session. We are expecting more information
on the session soon ... so be on the lookout, and mark your
calendars now, so that you won't miss the event.
By the way, suggestions on candidate speakers/panelists and
topics are welcomed for this series too.    (08)

Wow!    (09)

Talk to you soon!  =ppy
--    (010)