Re: [ontolog-forum] Proceedings from the Ontolog Invited Speaker sessio

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 04:44:14 -0700
We had a great session with Dr. David Ferrucci from IBM Research
who presented his talk on: "Putting the Semantics in the Semantic
Web: An overview of UIMA and its role in Accelerating the
Semantic Revolution." David made a compelling case for the use of
the open-source UIMA (Unstructured Information Management
Architecture) architecture and framework. David explained to us
the rationale behind the design and the UIMA technology. He also
put forth some use cases and showed us how UIMA could, for
example, enable semantic search for the masses and raise the bar
in search technology and the efficacy of the web.    (01)

Our appreciations go out to our invited speaker, Dr. Ferrucci for
sharing this technology and his insights with us. I would also
like to thank Ontolog community member and Dr. Ferrucci's IBM
Research colleague, Dr. E. Michael Maximilien, for helping us
invite Dr. Ferrucci to give this talk, and for introducing our
speaker at the beginning of the session. And, as always, thanks
to all the participants who joined us.    (02)

Proceedings of the session are captured at our wiki page, at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_05_11    (03)

In particular, full audio recording of the session is now
available too - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_05_11#nidMEQ
Dr. Ferrucci's input today adds yet another important piece to
the collective intelligence and body of knowledge that our
community is building.    (04)

Best regards.  =ppy    (05)

P.S. Errata: wrong date on the subject line in the previous
(announcement) message. It should have read: " ... Thu
2006.05.11"  =ppy