[ontolog-forum] Re: [sicop-forum] A question for the 20051011 panelists

To: sicop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:10:34 -0800
Adrian,    (01)

Thank you for the message.    (02)

I think, to answer your question, one would need to:    (03)

(a) be more specific about what class of "ontology-based
application", and    (04)

(b) peg that answer to the stage of maturity that "natural
language-based" technology is at.    (05)

Otherwise, anything from "no" to "really useful" is a possible
answer.    (06)

We (Ontolog) are having Doug Lenat over to talk on "CYC: Lessons
Learned in Large-Scale Ontological Engineering" (ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2005_11_17).
Doug has 21 years of experience to share. His insights to your
question would probably be of interest to the community too. Come
join us (it is, as usual, a free and open event).    (07)

Cheers.  =ppy    (08)

P.S. Denise,    (09)

(re: your "For the December 6 event I will present a use case of
how we go about using both approaches in developing an application.")    (010)

... I just wanted to make sure your reference to a "Dec. 6"
presentation is for something else, because the date we had set
for Ontolog's "Ontology Applications and Implementations"
discussion session (for which you have graciously accepted to
share with us your work at) is slated for Thursday Dec. 15, 2005.
Just wanted to make sure we communicated that date right.  Tx.  =ppy
--    (011)