Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontolog Methodolgy

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Adam Pease <adampease@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:05:46 -0800
Scott,
   SUMO and MILO were intended to be task and domain independent, although
any particular application will certainly not use every term in each
ontology.  The domain ontologies of Finance, Transportation etc are of
course more specific.  Task dependency is an interesting issue.  I'm
inclined to think that task dependent representations are more an issue of
implementation.  Although important to efficiency, if one puts a task
dependency into a given ontology then it will be difficult to use in the
same domain for a different task.  Separating implementation from
representation is important, and lack of such separation I think has been
the cause of a number of unnecessary controversies in the ontology field.    (01)

Adam    (02)