Re: [ontolog-forum] Possibly off topic OWL question

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: ewallace@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:14:29 -0400 (EDT)

Jack Park <jackpark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

>If the only parseType is "collection", how does one craft a slot the
>fillers of which adhere to the properties of a set?    (02)

There are not many OWL users in the Ontolog Forum, so this is not
a great place for an OWL question.  Also, I think a bit more context
would help us understand the question better.  However, I will take a
stab at it anyway.    (03)

OWL is not a Frame language and thus does not have "slots" per se.
Perhaps, you mean properties.  The fillers for a property for an owl
individual are treated as a set.  One can use a property restriction
within an owl class description to define the kind of fillers which may
appear in such a set for a given class.  Alternatively, a range
restriction could be defined for the property which would restrict the
fillers for that property for any individual regardless of class.
Because property fillers are treated like sets, they do not have any
ordering.  Thus lists are used in OWL ontologies where the ordering of a
related set of things is important, but restricting the members of these
lists is more awkward then those of unordered sets.    (04)

-Evan    (05)

Evan K. Wallace
NIST
ewallace@xxxxxxxx    (06)