Re: [ontolog-forum] No Standard Semantic Web Pragmatics

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: phayes@xxxxxxx
From: Internet Business Logic <ibl@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:47:32 -0400
Hi Leo and All --

As mentioned, there is excellent discussion of Semantic Web Pragmatics happening at

              http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sw-meaning/

The participants include Jim Hendler, Pat Hayes, and a number of knowledgeable W3C folks.

Leo -- There's so much good stuff there that it is hard to summarize.

However one point that I seem to see emerging is that most of the technical work is being done "bottom
up", starting with RDF and adding things.  Perhaps the best example of this is the fine paper:

http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/SWTSGuide/carroll-ISWC2004.pdf

It seems to me that the bottom-up approach needs to be complemented with a top-down one,
starting from the tough question "how are non-technical people going to understand and control
RDF-based inferencing in the real world?"  I'd argue that the same question applies to UBL-XML-based
inferencing, whether done in Description Logic, XML query languages, SQL, or anything else.

There's a system at our site that tries to contribute a pragmatic solution to the tough question,
while avoiding (for now) the AI-linguistic version of P=NP -- namely, how can we get machines to
understand all of natural language and commonsense reasoning,
Cheers,  -- Adrian

Leo Obrst wrote:
Hi, IBL/Adrian,

Perhaps you can try to summarize the discussion? Or forward significant
messages?

Thanks,
Leo

Internet Business Logic wrote:

Hi All --

In case you have not already seen it, there's an excellent discussion
of  Semantic Web Pragmatics happening, this very moment, on
public-sw-meaning@xxxxxx .

Although it is RDF-centered, much of the discussion will apply to UBL-XML.

                                     Cheers,   -- Adrian

Internet Business Logic  --  online at www.reengineeringllc.com

Reengineering LLC,  PO Box 1412,  Bristol,  CT 06011-1412,  USA

Phone 860 583 9677     Mobile 860 830 2085     Fax 860 314 1029