[ontolog-forum] Is Ontolog WG a member of OASIS? [was - Re: RSVP Receiv

To: Bob Smith <robsmith5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jon Bosak <jon.bosak@xxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:03:44 -0700
Bob,    (01)

 > Is Ontolog WG a member of OASIS now?    (02)

Good question, Bob. My take is ...    (03)

1. The answer is "no", though a good number of the people in the
ontolog community are actually OASIS members, or work for Institutions
that are (which gives these individuals OASIS membership privileges,
if they so desire.)    (04)

2. In fact, that may not be a bad idea, given their annual membership
fees being:    (05)

Organization Membership:    (06)

1. Sponsor: $ 13500.00
2. Contributor > 10 employees: $ 5750.00
3. Contributor < 10 employees: $ 2750.00
4. Contributor: Non-Profit: $ 1000.00    (07)

Individual Membership: $ 250.00    (08)

Presumably, we qualify for the $1000 fee, and if we have four or more
individuals, we could make it less expensive for people. I think we
should start considering this, if we start collecting membership fees.    (09)

3. If your questions is whether or not we are an OASIS TC (Technical
Committee) then, the answer would be "it wasn't intended to be."    (010)

OASIS is chartered to be an open eBusiness (originally XML)
interoperability/standards body. "OASIS is a not-for-profit, global
consortium that drives the development, convergence and adoption of
e-business standards ..." (see
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/overview.php)
Their core strength and focus remains in the XML space.    (011)

Ontolog has a different mission, but meshes well with theirs,
especially in the 2nd clause of our charter (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl#nid011).    (012)

-ppy
--    (013)