Re: [ontolog-forum] Invoice ontology discussion points/issues

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Cassidy <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:35:32 -0400
Just a few comments on some of the questions raised by Mike:    (01)

 > 2. There is a field called Invoice types.  Did not see an enumerated
 > list for these but if you find one -- tell me.  Probably need to be
 > modeled as either subclasses or as axioms.

   In my experience working with domain ontologists, when they
talk about a "type" of some object, it invariably has the
same logical meaning as a "subclass".  But in any given case,
without instances, it can be hard to know what is intended.    (02)

 > 3. There are CurrencyCodes for invoice, tax and pricing.  My take
 > on this is that this is the same as defining a CurrencyType which
 > can be modeled in protegy as a slot with a range of "Class" where
 > you define the parent class and the valid values are any subclass.
 > So, I mapped this to the SUMO CurrencyMeasure class.

    This gets into one of the characteristics of SUMO which differs
from CYC.   In SUMO, "CurrencyMeasure" is an abstract concept that
refers to a unit of measure, which is a currency.  The symbol used for
that currency in a document would be a separate abstract concept,
which, as best I can tell, has no representation in the SUMO
class hierarchy.  In SUMO, classes of texts tend to be found
explicitly only in the "Physical" section, representing the physical
objects which are texts (instances of book or invoice).  Such
documents are related to the more abstract objects which they
represent by the "containsInformation" relation, which points to a
"Proposition". But there are few explicitly reified Conceptual classes
corresponding to the abstract objects.  So there is a place in the
SUMO class hierarchy for every single copy of a novel, but no explicit
class other than the very generic "Proposition" for the more abstract
idea of the novel of which the individual artifacts are physical
representations.
     In Cyc, there is an abstract ("intangible") class "ConceptualWork"
with subclasses such as "Book-CW".  Instances of these classes
are the unique conceptual content which may be represented in any
number of physical objects -- different copies of the same book,
or a representation on some electronic data storage medium, in
any font.    (03)

    For the "CurrencyCode", if one were going to use SUMO, I would
recommend addition of a subclass of "SymbolicObject" under "Abstract".
  "SymbolicObject" would have as a subclass "CurrencySymbol".  This
abstract concept (e.g. the idea for a "Pounds" symbol) could then be
related to SUMO "CurrencyMeasure" by a new relation, e.g. "hasSymbol"
between the CurrencyMeasure (e.g. UnitedStatesDollar) and the
abstract symbol (e.g. "DollarSymbol")  In turn, the physical printed
dollars symbols would be represented under SUMO "SymbolicString".
The existing SUMO "containsInformation" may not be the proper
relation between the SymbolicString and the abstract "DollarSymbol";
a new relation may be needed.  A subclass of "SymbolicString" such
as "CurrencyString" would also be useful.  Then, instances of
CurrencyString would be, for example the individual printed characters
"$" or "USD" in some specific text.    (04)

    Considerations like that above suggest that ideas that are
expressed in symbols which ultimately are represented on physical
objects need three levels of representation in an ontology.
If this seems complicated, it is only because the human facility
can handle such multiple related but subtly different concepts
without us even noticing the differences.  But the machines can't,
at least not yet.  So I believe that all these different concepts
need to be represented, and preferably explicitly so in the
class hierarchy.
    It also follows that there should be an abstract concept
"Invoice-Conceptual" as well as a class for the physical
document -- of which there may be multiple copies.
Each data field in the invoice would also have to have its own
class, each a subclass of "Abstract" (one could create
a generic class "TransactionDatum" under "Abstract" to hold all
of the data fields that might be relevant to a transaction).    (05)

 > 5. The way "date" is modeled in SUMO seems strange.  In the protege
 >  version (it may be more natural in KIF), this is modeled as an
 > Instance of BinaryPredicate.  I get why date is a binary predicate
 > (there is  documentation)  but if I want a specific date attached as
 >  a slot, it is a binary  predicate by default -- i.e.
 >  date(ContainingClass, value).
     I think one could add a class "Date" to the SUMO hierarchy under
"Day".  The difference from "Day" would be that "Date" has an
explicit representation as Month-Day-Year.  This class could then be
the "range" class for the relation "date".  But this use of the
SUMO relation "date" is I think not what is needed -- see below.    (06)

 >   Also, in protege there is no way to
 >  say that a slot should be of type a specific instance (because an
 >  instance is not a domain, it is a range of some other domain).
 > So what I did was for the specific dates in the UBL spreadsheet for
 > Invoice (like "IssueDate") ... I made its value an Instance of Class
 > TimePoint.

    I haven't been following this line closely -- busy with other
issues right now.  So I'm not clear what you want to do in Protege.
Slots can be defined on classes and the "range" can be a class or
an instance (or a symbol or a number or a string).  There are
instance values and default values that can be specified, also.
What is it that you can't do?    (07)

===================    (08)

     Generally, what I think needs to be done is to define an abstract
concept "Invoice-Conceptual" which would have proper parts which are
the data fields, each of which would also be a class of abstract
conceptual objects.  Each of these conceptual objects would have a
representation which is the physical markings on some
physical object (a piece of paper or electron patterns in a
computer).  Then the "part" of the Invoice which is a "date" would
be, e.g. "TaxPointDate" (a subclass of "Date") and there
would also be a "IssueDate" (if "Issuing" were a subclass of
"Creation" in SUMO, the IssueDate would be the EndFn
(WhenFn(Issuing)).  Each of the Data fields might also
have parts which are data fields.  The conceptual objects could
also have formatting properties; each of the data fields
might be specified as to where on a printed document it would
appear.  In this view, the HTML formatting markup in the
"ConceptualWork" which is a document in its abstract sense
would represent properties of the data fields.    (09)

    If this seems to make sense, I would try to create specific
representation for representation, but that would probably
require some additions to what is now in SUMO.  Especially, as
I mentioned above, I believe that abstract symbolic objects
could use more explicit representation.    (010)

    Pat    (011)

Patrick Cassidy    (012)

MICRA, Inc.                      || (908) 561-3416
735 Belvidere Ave.               || (908) 668-5252 (if no answer)
Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054        || (908) 668-5904 (fax)    (013)

internet:   cassidy@xxxxxxxxx