[ontolog] Re: [soul] Re: b2b ontologies using Topic Maps

To: soul-talk@xxxxxxxx
Cc: ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Leo Obrst <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:49:27 -0400
Along the same lines as this reference:
We had a paper in the Formal Ontology in Information Systems 01
Conference last fall, talking about ontologies in e-commerce and
focusing on the ontology-ontology, ontology-taxonomy,
ontology-application mapping problem.    (01)

See:
http://www.fois.org/fois-2001/index.html    (02)

If you have ACM access, the paper is at: (or the volume can be ordered
through ACM)
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=505180&coll=portal&dl=ACM&CFID=4057493&CFTOKEN=42554137#FullText    (03)

Ontological engineering for B2B E-commerce, Leo Obrst, Robert Wray,
Howard Liu
ABSTRACT     (04)

    In this paper we discuss the nature of our overall enterprise to
create ontologies in the product and service knowledge space for
Business-to-Business (B2B) electronic commerce. We describe one crucial
problem: the mapping problem, i.e., mapping among ontologies,
taxonomies, and classification systems, some of which are more
semantically sound and coherent than others. This problem we consider to
be in need of a sustained research program if tenable solutions are to
be found, since the lack of a solution will preclude widespread adoption
of ontologies by the commercial world. Finally, we summarize the general
issues we faced and indicate prospective
future research.     (05)

"Peter P. Yim" wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Eugene brought to our attention this very relevant article (see url
> below).
>
> The author, I believe, provided some keen observations and has made an
> attempt to propose one way to solve this intricate problem that we are
> embarking on. While we may or may not agree with his proposed
> solution, he has, nonetheless, demonstrated his interest and
> understanding of the issues at hand.
>
> I would like to write him (Marc de Graauw) and find out if he would be
> interested in joining us in the imminently resuming [ontolog] forum.
>
> OK with you guys? Has any of you met or know Marc in person?
>
> Comments, suggestions, ... (on him, or his views) ...
>
> Regards,
> PPY
>
> P.S. Thank you, Eugene!  -ppy
> --
>
> Eugene Eric Kim wrote Sat, 24 Aug 2002 07:03:45 -0700 (PDT):
> >
> > This article may interest you and your ontolog community:
> >
> >   http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/08/21/topicmapb2b.html
> >
> > -Eugene
> --
> An archive of this [soul-talk] forum (members-only) can be found
> at http://www.cim3.com/~soul/lists/soul-talk/index.html    (06)

Dr. Leo Obrst           The MITRE Corporation
mailto:lobrst@xxxxxxxxx Intelligent Information Management/Exploitation
Voice: 703-883-6770     7515 Colshire Drive, M/S W640
Fax: 703-883-1379       McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA    (07)

--
To post messages mailto:ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
An archive of the [ontolog] forum can be found