[ontolog] UBL - Ontology Discussion

To: Jon Bosak <Jon.Bosak@xxxxxxx>
Cc: ubl-ontolog@xxxxxxxx
From: Kurt Conrad <conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:58:47 -0700
Jon,

I reviewed our conversation with Peter.  He and I have come up with the following action plan, which we hope is sufficiently sensitive to our shared concerns about disrupting current UBL activities and timetables.

1) Peter has "partially reactivated" the ubl-ontolog list by seeding it with a small number of email accounts.  This will provide a mechanism for archiving these startup messages.  You have been included and should have seen the message that he posted, earlier today.

2) Over the next few days, Peter will set up a new ontolog mailing list.  The initial charter has two areas of focus:
  • Discuss general issues and strategies associated with the development of both formal and informal ontologies used in business
  • Discuss ontological engineering approaches as they might be applied to the UBL effort
3) We will invite a limited number of individuals who have previously expressed interest to participate.  Invitations could go out as soon as early next week.  The following individuals are currently expected to be invited:
  • Mike Adcock
  • Jon Bosak
  • Bill Burcham
  • Kurt Conrad
  • Chris Doyal
  • Tony Loeser
  • Monica Martin
  • Bill Meadows
  • Tim McGrath
  • Bo Newman
  • Leo Oberst
  • Sue Probert
  • Marion Royal
  • Lisa Seaburg
  • Ray Seddigh
  • Ron Schuldt
  • Peter Yim
4) We expect to kick off the discussion list by reviewing and refining the mission statements listed above.

5) Where the discussion raises specific issues or leads to specific proposals or recommendations for the UBL effort, they will be separately documented and forwarded to you for consideration.  The goal will be to provide actionable recommendations, not just general issues that would require further study.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

/s/ kwc 2002.07.11 19:58

Kurt Conrad
2994 Salem Dr.                     408-247-0454
Santa Clara, CA 95051-5502         408-247-0457 (data/fax)
http://www.SagebrushGroup.com      mailto:conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx