[ontolog-admin] Fwd: Getting started in the community [was - Re: Fw: [on

To: "[ontolog-admin] forum" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 07:19:07 -0800
Fyi ...    (01)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 7:14 AM
Subject: Getting started in the community [was - Re: Fw:
[ontolog-invitation] Ontology Summit 2012: session-05 - Thu
2012.02.09, and more]
To: "Bilmanis, John Mr CTR OSD USA" <john.bilmanis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>    (02)

John,    (03)

These are good questions ... (much better to be clear from the very
the beginning!) ... I hope you don't mind if I share this with the
rest of the community too, as it makes a great FAQ!    (04)

>  I added my self to the mailing list and
> you indicated that you did also.  Is that twice?    (05)

[ppy]  No, it wasn't a duplication. You seemed to have added yourself
to the [ontolog-invitation] list, which is our broader-community
"announcement list." That does not provide participation in any of the
Ontolog community activities (which runs on the [ontolog-forum] list),
nor other activities hosted on the Ontolog-CWE (collaborative work
environment), of which the Ontology Summit (a joint effort by six
parties of which Ontolog is one, and which runs on the
[ontology-summit] mailing list), OOR (the Ontology Repository), SOCoP
(Spatial Ontology Community of Practice) are a few example.    (06)

Therefore, to participate in the OntologySummit discourse (ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2012#nid30AG )
you need to be subscribed to the [ontology-summit] mailing list, which
was what I did for you a little earlier (and hence the system message
advising you that you were subscribed, with your mailing list
password.) ... although, you could have subscribed yourself too (as
described in the link above.)    (07)

> I received a password via another email about the mailing list.  What is the
> user name that goes with it?
> What is the account that this goes to?  One assumption is that the password
> is only for the mailing list? ... Correct?    (08)

[ppy]  Correct. That allows you to tweak your own mailing list
configurations (like switch from the nominal inbox delivery mode to,
say, "digest" or "no mail" mode, etc.) Links to the configuration page
is provided on that system message you received, which is already
customized; therefore, you would only need the password (the
subscriber account is, in fact, your email address as subscribed).
Most people never need to use that.    (09)

> In general, do I just follow the VNC link with the "ontolog" password and
> then dialin?    (010)

[ppy] Generally "yes" ... but for you, probably not! The VNC stream
generally wouldn't be able to get past the more serious firewalls (and
I assume that include what's at your workplace.) Before the session,
the block of information on "How To Join (while the session is in
progress)" - ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_02_09#nid34R7
- will show up at the top of the session page. So, it would be easy
for all to navigate and get ready to participate. People who don't
have access to the VNC shared-screen will just need to run the slides
on their own desktop. The speakers will be prompting everyone to
advance the slides (this is important for the folks who "attend
asynchronously" later anyway!)    (011)

> If I want to chat then I follow the chat link to soaphub?    (012)

[ppy] Correct! ... but more importantly, this is an integral part of
the session setting. There will be quite a bit going on in the
chat-space, and it stages the open discussion segment that follows the
panel briefs. There is a "hand" button in the soaphub chat-space too,
where one could get queued up to make verbal remarks, and possibly to
provide a "show of hands" in quick polls that session moderators may
invoke. Therefore, unless a participant doesn't have the access (e.g.
calling in from a cell phone, without Internet access,) we'd expect
all participants to be logged into that soaphub chat-space as well
during the session.    (013)

> Do I need an active account with a password on the ontolog site?    (014)

[ppy]  I assume you are referring to the OntologWiki now. That is
optional, although you would need one if you want to make any edit on
the wiki. It is not much of a real account, except that it help (a)
make sure whoever is contributing (editing the wiki page) is a person
and not a spambot, and (b) properly attributes that contribution.
Therefore, when you "create an account" please use JohnBilmanis as
your username (your name in WikiWord format, that's the convention we
have been going with all along) and a very simple password. You might
try editing your namesake page at
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?JohnBilmanis just to get
familiar with the settings.    (015)

One more thing ... [important!] please take note of the
"non-commercial" contribution policy and the "open" IPR policy of the
Ontolog-CWE - see under:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid1M    (016)

... also, do note, again, that a participant in [ontology-summit] is
not equivalent to participating in the Ontolog community. If Ontology
aligns well with your professional interest, I'd encourage you to
consider joining ONTOLOG too - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid1J    (017)

Best regards. =ppy    (018)

Peter P. Yim