[ontolog-admin] Ontolog/CEW Invited Speaker - Jon Bosak - Fri 2005.09.23

To: jon.bosak@xxxxxxx
Cc: susan.turnbull@xxxxxxx
Cc: Brand Niemann <niemann.brand@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-admin]" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:59:19 -0700
Dear Jon,    (01)

Further to our earlier e-mail exchange, I would like to thank
you, on behalf of the Ontolog conveners and the Collaborative
Expedition Workshop ("CEW") organizers, for accepting our
invitation to speak at the upcoming Ontolog-CEW joint session on
Friday September 23, 2005. I am writing here, to provide further
details and some administrivia on the event.    (02)

This session will be a 2 hour concurrent event, held physically
at NSF (Ballston, VA) as part of CEW's day-long event and
virtually for the Ontolog community and the CEW's remote
attendees. The session will start with about 5~10 minutes for
self-introductions by participants and for getting everyone
settled in. Your virtual presentation of approximately 45~60
minutes will then follow. After which, there will be an open
discussion for about 30~45 minutes.  The session will be
scheduled for 10:30am~12:30pm Pacific Time / 1:30~3:30pm Eastern
Time.  It will be best if you could be on-site at NSF for the
entire day's CEW event. However, if need be, you may optionally
choose to make your presentation virtually.    (03)

Ontolog is an open, International community of practice engaging
in the learning, discourse and development of domain ontologies.
It is trying to advance the adoption and application of
ontological engineering approaches and semantic technologies (see
our charter at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidB ), and
is facilitating their move into the mainstream standards. The CEW
is an eGovernment community of practice who is, of late, focused
in an intergovernmental collaborative effort to develop the
Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA) Data Reference Model (DRM).
This particular CEW has been titled "Governance and Procurement
Readiness Challenges in Future Services Oriented Architecture:
Leveraging the Data Reference Model."  As the theme of best
practice open community process is what the organizers would like
to explore with the participants during this session, we are
hoping you could give your talk around that theme, with
particular reference to the OASIS process and practical
experience you can share with us.    (04)

I shall look forward to receiving the following from you, at your
earliest convenience (hopefully no later than Aug. 23):    (05)

(a) the title of your talk,    (06)

(b) an abstract of your talk (anywhere from a few sentences to a
couple of paragraphs will do).    (07)

(c) a recent picture of yours (about 150x150 pixels, in png, jpg
or gif format), and    (08)

(d) a short biographic sketch of yourself. In addition, if you
can provide (links to) slightly more extended bio/intro of you
and your work, that would be even better. It would be fine if you
just supply the URL's to the material (if something appropriate
is already available online.)    (09)

Once I get the above, I will compile a session wiki page for you
and will start circulating the information among the community
(we should be doing that around one month before the event), so
that people could mark their calendars and plan to attend.    (010)

Closer to the time (say, by Sep. 13, although this is not a hard
deadline), please send me:    (011)

(e) your presentation material* (in sxi, pdf, powerpoint, html,
png, jpg or some common electronic format) so that I can post it
online for access during the session. (Optionally, you may choose
  to have that posted a week or so in advance of your talk, or
the morning of your session.)    (012)

During the talk, you will be in control of a shared-screen server
(a VNC server) that will allow you to run your presentation
slides, a web browser or even other applications (if you do need
to run other applications, please provide me with more details
because we may need some prior coordination to make it happen).
The display screen from the VNC server will be shared by the
virtual attendees during the event.    (013)

(f) After I receive your presentation material, we will schedule
a phone session so that I can walk you through the presentation
controls and some of the relevant nuances that our virtual
speaker(s) need to be aware of. We should do this while you are
at the venue where you plan to be presenting from (e.g. your
office, your home, ... etc. because each may present different
connectivity issues we would need to tackle). You are also
invited to take a look at the hints we have for sessions like
this at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpeakerSessionTips    (014)

For your reference, please feel free to check out the wiki pages
of similar Ontolog invited speaker presentations, like the ones
given by Steve Ray of NIST (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2004_02_12),
or the one by Chris Welty on OntoClean (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2004_11_18).
They should provide some clue as to the format of our monthly
invited speaker events. As for CEW or DRM events, references can
be found at:
http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ExpeditionWorkshop/DesigningTheDRM_DataAccessibility_2005_08_16
    &
http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DataReferenceModelPublicForum_2005_06_13
However, do feel free to conduct your presentation any way you
feel like (let me know, though, if you expect it to be quite
different, so that I can work on providing the support you need.)    (015)

We will be creating a wiki page for your session after we have
received the above ((a) thru (d) input from you), at which point,
you are encouraged to post additional relevant resources (papers,
links, references, ... etc.) to support your presentation.    (016)

Additionally, we will be recording your session and make the
archived audio file available online, along with your
presentation material at the Ontolog site. May I, on behalf of
the Ontolog Forum, request your permission to do so. Please refer
to our IPR policy at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32 that
will be applicable. I will assume that is acceptable to you
unless I hear from you otherwise.    (017)

Once again, thank you very much for agreeing to speak, and to
having a dialog with our two communities. I shall look forward to
the event, and to to your continued contribution to Ontolog & CEW
in the future. Feel free to contact the undersigned if there is
any question.    (018)

Sincerely,
=PPY    (019)

Peter P. Yim
[ontolog-forum], co-convener
http://ontolog.cim3.net
Phone: (650) 578-9998    (020)

P.S. *Please note that: in preparing your powerpoint (or other
presentation material), try to avoid using any animation or
transitions, as they do not work very well over the real-time
shared-screen service which we employ to allow the audience to be
in sync with you on your slide presentation.  =ppy
--     (021)