[ontolog-admin] Ontolog Invited Speaker - Chris Menzel - Tue 2004.11.04

To: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Adam Pease <adampease@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:14:03 -0700
Dear Professor Menzel,    (01)

Further to recent exchanges between you and Adam Pease, I would like to
thank you for accepting our invitation to speak at the Ontolog-Forum on
Thu 04-Nov-2004 on Logical Languages and other relevant topics you feel
appropriate. I am writing to provide further details and some
administrivia on the event.    (02)

This session will be a 1.5 to 2 hour event conducted in the form of a
virtual presentation of approx. 45 min., followed by an open discussion
of about 30 min.(or more, as necessary).  This will be over a phone
conference, augmented by online presentation material. The time of the
session will be scheduled for 12:30pm to 2:00pm (quite possibly
extending to 2:30pm) Central Standard Time (10:30am~12:00noon Pacific
Standard Time).    (03)

The [ontolog] community engages in the learning, discourse and
development of business domain ontologies and related issues, and works
towards introducing ontological engineering approaches to the making of
eBusiness standards (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage#nid06). Your talking to
the group and affording us a chance to have an open dialog with you
would be most helpful towards that end.    (04)

I shall look forward to receiving from you, at your convenience
(hopefully on/before Oct. 21):    (05)

(a) a short biographic sketch of yourself. In addition, if you can
provide (links to) slightly more extended bio/intro of you and your
work, that would be even better. It would be fine if you just supply the
URL's to these material (if something appropriate is already available
online; feel free, also, to edit your namesake page on our wiki:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ChrisMenzel),    (06)

(b) a recent picture of yours (about 150x150 pixels, in png, jpg or gif
format),    (07)

(c) a title of your talk, and    (08)

(d) an abstract of your talk (anywhere from a few sentences to a couple
of paragraphs will do).    (09)

Once I get the above, I will start circulating the information among the
community, so that people could mark their calendars and plan to attend.    (010)

Closer to the time (say, by Oct. 29, although this is not a hard
deadline), please send me your presentation material (in powerpoint,
pdf, sxi, html, or some common electronic format) so that I can post it
online for access during the session. During the talk, you will be in
control of a shared screen server (a VNC server) that will allow you to
run your presentation slides, a web browser or even other applications
(if you do, please provide me with more details because we may need some
prior coordination to make it happen). The display screen from the VNC
server will be shared by all virtual attendees during the event.    (011)

For your reference, please feel free to check out the wiki pages of
similar recent presentations, like the ones given by  Steve Ray of NIST
(see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2004_02_12), or
one the by Brand Niemann on e-Government (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2004_04_22). They
should provide some clue to the format of our monthly invited speaker
event. However, do feel free to conduct your presentation any way you
feel like (let me know, though, if you expect it to be quite different,
so that I can work on providing the support you need.).    (012)

Additionally, we have been recording (some, so far, since this is still
a volunteer effort; but the intent is to do it for all) our presentation
sessions and make the streaming audio available online, along with the
presentation material. May I, on behalf of ontolog, request your
permission to do so. Please refer to our IPR policy at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl#nid036 that will be applicable.
I will assume that is acceptable to you unless I hear from you otherwise.    (013)

Once again, thank you very much for agreeing to speak, and to having a
dialog with our community. I shall look forward to the event, and to
collaborating with you in the future. Feel free to contact the
undersigned if there is any question.    (014)

Sincerely,
PPY    (015)

Peter P. Yim
[ontolog] forum, co-convener