[ontolog-admin] Re: Jon Bosak Introduction...

To: "Erik Huddleston" <ehuddleston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kurt Conrad <conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:07:08 -0800
Erik,

Just in case there's a chance for confusion, let me first point out that we are not an OASIS Technical Committee.  The Ontolog Forum that Jon referred to is an open forum focused on ontology engineering.  We "split off" from the UBL TC well over a year ago with two primary missions:

    - To discuss practical issues and strategies associated
      with the development of both formal and informal
      ontologies used in business.

    - To Identify ontological engineering approaches that
      might be applied to the UBL effort.

Although we are independent, we maintain close association with the UBL TC.  Our memberships have considerable overlap and our first face-to-face meeting was co-located with the UBL meetings in San Francisco a couple weeks ago.  Also, our most substantial project is to create formal ontologies based on UBL.  I'm expecting to see considerable refinements to our UBL Ontology project based on what we learned at the face-to-face and from follow-on discussions with folks like yourself.

Hopefully that's enough of a quick introduction.  Here are a few links into our activities:

 Community Wiki:
   Home Page: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/
   UBL Ontology Project:
      http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/wiki.pl?UblOntology

 Community Forum:
   Subscribe/Unsubscribe/Config:
   Message Archives:
      http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/
   Proposal for UBL Ontology Project:
      http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2003-03/msg00000.html

I know that the project team would like to hear more about what you are doing and see how it might mesh with our activities.  You are welcome to phone into one of our regular project meetings.  They are scheduled for 10:30 Pacific on Thursday mornings.  Information on how to call in will be posted at http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/wiki.pl?UblOntology#nid016 . Just scroll down to "this week's" date.

Also, feel free to contact me, directly; my contact information is included, below.

/s/ kwc 2003.11.17 14:07