[ontolog-admin] Steve Ray of NIST

To: "Peter P. Yim" <yimpp@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Kurt Conrad <conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-admin] forum" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Leo Obrst <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:27:45 -0400
Peter, Kurt,    (01)

I finally connected with Steve Ray of NIST today. We had been playing
phone tag for nearly 2 weeks, I guess. Anyway, I spoke with him about 20
minutes or so, and described the Ontolog venture, etc. I said I was
trying to grease the wheels, but suggested that Peter would probably
want to talk with him. He seems pretty receptive, though his budget
includes hardware, people, and potential funding. But he welcomes
initially an email exchange of further information. He wondered whether
ontolog wanted to be a non-profit or a for-profit. I said we really
didn't know yet how it would be evolve. But he mentioned that you might
consider SBIR funding (Small Business Innovation Grant), open to small
businesses that match a given agency's broad area announcements (BAA) or
equivalents. I think all federal research funding agencies have to
allocate 2% of their budget for SBIRs. I am sorry I didn't think of this
myself, since I was in a partnership with 2 other guys from about
1992-1997 (when I left Boeing and came to MITRE, where I had to divest
outside financial intersts such as this) called SDG (Software
Development Group) and we obtained 2 SBIR grants -- one from another
division in NIST (knowledge-based SQL conformance testing) and the Army
Research Lab (constraint-based natural language understanding). It might
help!    (02)

Anyway, Steve's address is: ray@xxxxxxxx
and he is awaiting a message and email exchange. You can cc-me on your
email too.    (03)

Thanks,
Leo
Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-883-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-883-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA    (04)