ontoiop-forum

Re: [ontoiop-forum] OntoIOp teleconference (n.59): Wed 20143.05.21

To: OntoIOp open discussion <ontoiop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Tara Athan <taraathan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 19:34:46 -0400

Hi - I have a few comments on the definitions:

basic OMS

set of non-logical symbols, sentences, annotations about them, which is used as a building block for a larger OMS

Are the sentences in a basic OMS all in the same language?
Can an OMS be a basic OMS without being used as a building block for a larger OMS?

Suggestion: a structure consisting of a set V of non-logical symbols, a set S of sentences in some OMS language (using only non-logical symbols from V), and a set of annotations about V and S.

sublanguage

syntactically speci�ed subset of a given language, consisting of a subset of its terminal and nonterminal symbols and grammar rules

A subset of the grammar rules of a language does not necessarily produce a sublanguage (not all grammar languages are monotonic, e.g. Relax NG), and a sublanguage can't always be generated by some subset of the grammar rules of a superlanguage (e.g. a Horn logic sublanguage of Common Logic).

I believe grammar rules should not be mentioned at all in this definition.

I would expect a sublanguage to be defined as:
subset of the expressions of a language, interpreting with a subset of the logics of the superlanguage.
Note: the subsets need not be proper subsets.

subOMS

OMS whose sets of non-logical symbols and sentences are subsets of those present in a given larger OMS

Saying "larger OMS" suggests that there is a requirement of proper subsets.

Suggestion:

OMS whose sets of non-logical symbols and sentences are subsets of those present in a given OMS

profile

(syntactic) sublanguage of an OMS language interpreting according to a particular logic that targets speci�c applications or reasoning methods

Can a sublanguage be a profile if it doesn't target specific applications or reasoning methods? How do you verify that this condition is satisfied?

Suggestion:

(syntactic) sublanguage of an OMS language interpreting according to a particular logic, typically targeting speci�c applications or reasoning methods

serialization

speci�c syntactic encoding of a given OMS language

Not all "serializations" are specific to the level of character encoding.
If the serialization is based on XML, then a variety of character encoding systems can, in general, be used. In API4KB, we consider a "serialization" of a language to be a system for representing expressions in that language as character sequences, which is independent of the character encoding system used to represent these character sequences as byte sequences.

document

result of serializing an OMS using a given serialization

This makes sense only if we are talking about an OMS in one language, so that it is possible to serialize using just one serialization.
Presumably, each base OMS in a structured OMS is serialized using a given serialization (although annotations in standoff markup confuse this issue).
Can a document be a collection of subdocuments in different serializations of the same language?
(I am imagining these being packaged in a zip archive or tar for transmission.)

Suggestion:

result of serializing an OMS, where the sentences of each basic OMS are serialized using a given serialization

Tara