ontoiop-forum

[ontoiop-forum] Using ISO 11179 to specify file format of a remote ontol

To: Terry Longstreth <terry.longstreth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: OntoIOp open discussion <ontoiop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christoph LANGE <christoph.lange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:52:59 +0100
Hi Terry,    (01)

let me use the public mailing list for a question that follows up on our
discussion in the chat during today's teleconference.    (02)

We were discussing the issue of how to inform an application that one
ontology O within a distributed ontology D is serialized in a certain
format.    (03)

When the ontology O is written in place inside D we have the keyword
"serialization" for this.    (04)

When O is a remote ontology referenced by IRI, we agreed on something
I'd like to phrase as follows:    (05)

1. If information on the serialization of O is accessible in some
standard way (but standardizing this is beyond DOL), an application
should make use of this information.  E.g., and this is something that
could be mentioned in an informative note, O could be published
according to the linked data best practices, such that it is
downloadable from its IRI=URL, and the Content-type HTTP header could
contain information that the ontology has the text/owl-manchester MIME type.    (06)

2. If no such information is provided, it is up to the application how
to determine the serialization of O.  E.g., if the ontology is
downloadable from its IRI=URL but the HTTP headers don't hint at the
serialization, the application could download the file and apply some
heuristics to it in an entirely application-specific way.    (07)

OK, and now concerning (1) you made me aware that my example is not the
only way of providing the "serialization" information, but that ISO
11179 could be used as well.  (BTW, some non-standard RDF property could
also be used, in an RDF triple like <IRI-of-O>
<http://some.ontology/isAvailableInMIMEType> "text/owl-manchester".)    (08)

ISO 11179 "Metadata registries" part 1 (framework) and 2
(classification) all look quite abstract to me.    (09)

Could you explain to me how (1) could be solved using ISO 11179?    (010)

Cheers, and thanks in advance,    (011)

Christoph    (012)

--
Christoph Lange, Universität Bremen (now: University of Birmingham)
http://kwarc.info/clange, Skype duke4701    (013)

→ Building & Exploring Web Based Environments.  Seville, Spain, 27 Jan–
   1 Feb 2013.  Deadline 22 Sep.
http://iaria.org/conferences2013/WEB13.html    (014)