ontoiop-forum

[ontoiop-forum] Industrial use of ontologies for data integration

To: OntoIOp open discussion <ontoiop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christoph LANGE <christoph.lange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 12:25:49 +0200
Dear all,    (01)

I stumbled upon an early publication on the use of ontologies for data
integration in industry (telecommunication).  We do integration one
level higher, but it may be interesting to see that people have already
found ontologies useful on the lower level of integration.    (02)

http://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Publications/CEUR-WS/Vol-293/
(first paper)    (03)

Note: I have not yet read the whole paper, but the following future
direction seems particularly related to OntoIOp:    (04)

> a) To help reduce the dependence on mappings, a fundamental change is needed
>in
> the integration (ontology) so that it contains ‘integration metadata’ and
>is not simply
> an upper data definition --- that is information that will support
>integration and is not
> just a high level schema.    (05)

Such integration metadata may well exceed the complexity of OWL.    (06)

Cheers,    (07)

Christoph    (08)

--
Christoph Lange, Universität Bremen (now: University of Birmingham)
http://kwarc.info/clange, Skype duke4701    (09)

→ Building & Exploring Web Based Environments.  Seville, Spain, 27 Jan–
   1 Feb 2013.  Deadline 22 Sep.
http://iaria.org/conferences2013/WEB13.html    (010)