model-challenge

Re: [model-challenge] marriage template

To: Modeling Benchmark Challenge <model-challenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: LaVern Pritchard <lavern@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 13:28:26 -0500
With due regard for the fact that I'm at best a latecoming curious
observer to this project ...    (01)

Let me suggest that "marriage" doesn't "have" a husband or a wife but is
a relationship name describing the legally recognized status of husband
and wife, which in turn are just labels for persons in that very
relationship.    (02)

They fit together in a holistic network of language and social meaning.
Whether you say someone has a spouse, has a husband, has a wife, or is
part of a marriage is actually saying exactly the same thing from the
perspective of the individual (except for the sex role division).    (03)

As for the marriage relationship itself to exist, the people must have
been lawfully married and remain such for them to be married. To have
been lawfully married may mean they have had to satisfy a checklist of
requirements which may vary depending on jurisdiction and their
circumstances. The list may include such matters as age, parental or
guardian consent, mental capacity to marry, being unmarried at the time
of the marriage, having obtained a license to marry, having a genuine
intent to marry (i.e., not entering into a fraudulent marriage, e.g. for
immigration reasons), having solemnized the marriage in some fashion
with due legal formalities, and perhaps other issues. One can find a lot
of legal definitions that are not built from strictly specifiable
logical parts but from tradition transferred into written law.    (04)

Not only do the male and female in the drawing have a spouse; the female
more precisely may be said to have a husband and the male a wife. Or one
could collapse the triangular diagram into two boxes: husband and wife,
with a "In legal marriage relationship" relationship label connecting
them? The relationship does have it's own attributes of course.    (05)

As an analogy, test the design of this model against a simple business
contractual relationship which, like marriage, has parties in a
relationship of legal consequence.    (06)

There are legal ontologists, mostly European, it seems, who might have
interesting views as there might be a grand meeting of the minds.    (07)

LaVern A. Pritchard - Pritchard Law Webs
Publisher, LawMoose / MooseBoost - www.lawmoose.com
Practitioners' Legal Problem Solving Framework
Law Practice Intellectual Capital System
Semantic Legal Search Assistant
900 Flour Exchange, 310 4th Av S, Mpls, MN 55415
612-332-0102 - lavern@xxxxxxxxxxxx