mini-series-org

[EarthScienceOntolog] Who is the audience? [was - Fwd: next earth scienc

To: EarthScienceOntolog Mini-series Planning <mini-series-org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 11:26:58 -0800
Dear All,    (01)

In our offline planning discussion, Nancy Wiegand brought up a very
good question: "Who is the audience?"    (02)

I thought this is an important question, and should be discussed among
the entire organizing team, and have the discussion archived for
future reference. Hence, I am starting this thread to invite everyone
to chime in.    (03)

I will try to provide the Ontolog perspective, more the
community/logistics aspects of the answer, below.    (04)

Ref: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpeakerSessionTips#nidR2W
One can consider anyone of these virtual panel sessions as both a
"Live Panel Discussion" and a "Recording Session." In fact, we
typically have a much larger async audience compared to the number of
live audience attending our events.    Typical number of live audience
is about 15~60; while a typical talk gets downloaded about 100~500
times within the first couple of months of the talk. Some of the
really good talks we had in the past are getting around 200~400
downloads EVERY month, even years after the event!    (05)

I would therefore, suggest we might group the audience into 3 categories:    (06)

(A) the real-time audience
In the first 4 sessions, we had very consistent numbers - the logs
showed that we had about 61~60 callers into each session, which peaked
between 48~53 at any of the sessions.
For anyone who wants to breakdown the demographics, full roster of who
came, and who they were, are available at:
- http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_09_06#nid3ENM
- http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_10_11#nid3FLG
- http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_11_01#nid3H8T
... and,
- http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_08_23#nid3E3P    (07)

(B) the asynchronous audience
Those who visited/revisited the session via the archives (slides,
audio recordings, chat-transcripts, etc.)
You can look at the Ontolog site analytics via the link at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidTGG
... there, you can see, for example, that
- Krishn'a 8/23 opening talk was downloaded:  555 times in Sep, and,
239 times in Oct-2012
- we also had exceptionally high traffic on some of the talks:
-- SimonScheider's 910/11 talk was downloaded 1371 times in Oct-2012
-- NativiSantoro's 9/06 talk was downloaded 1789 times in Sep-2012
-- PeterFox's 9/06 talk was downloaded 2077 times in Sep-2012, and
-- NaicongLi et al's talk was downloaded 4529 times in Sep-2012    (08)

(C) the "Long Tail"
It's a little early for talks in this mini-series to show meaningful
statistics, but "good" talks in the past do get accessed; years after
they were first given. For example,
- DavidFerrucci's May-2006 UIMA talk (on the technology that later
underpinned the IBM Watson computer) is still being downloaded (very
consistently) - 266 times in Sep-2012; 932 times in Oct-2012; and, 118
times during the first ten days in Nov-2012
- BillJarrold's Jul-2006 CALO talk (on the technology that later
underpinned the Apple SIRI app) was downloaded - 491 times in
Sep-2012; 459 times in Oct-2012; and, 161 times during the first ten
days in Nov-2012
- JoshLieberman's Dec-2010 "Reference Model for Geospatial Semantics
Standards" talk (given at the 2010 SOCoP workshop) was downloaded -
491 times in Sep-2012; 348 times in Oct-2012; and, 121 times during
the first ten days in Nov-2012    (09)

Therefore, when planning for your Ontolog session, take into account
that, besides running a live event, we are also building a body of
knowledge for the domain, in the process.    (010)

... that said,    (011)

ALL: please chime in, to answer Nancy's question - who is the audience
for our 5th session - "Tutorial" - of this EarthScienceOntolog
mini-series?    (012)

Thanks & regards. =ppy    (013)

Peter P. Yim
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PeterYim