mini-series-org

[EarthScienceOntolog] session-2 - Thu 2012.09.06 - preparation

To: Richard Hooper <rhooper@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Fox, Peter" <pfox@xxxxxxxxxx>, Mattia Santoro <m.santoro@xxxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Nativi <stefano.nativi@xxxxxx>
Cc: EarthScienceOntolog Mini-series Planning <mini-series-org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:53:44 -0700
Dear Panelists,    (01)

Thank you for agreeing to share your work and insights with us in the
upcoming session. I am helping the session co-chairs with the
logistics while we prepare ourselves for this upcoming virtual panel
session.    (02)

As Gary & Naicong have probably already mentioned,    (03)

1. Developing details of the event will be on the session page at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_09_06 ...
always feel free to amend, edit, add material (resource and links, for
example) to that page, to make that the one-stop resource for your
session.    (04)

(Wiki editing instructions are at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidA ... but do
feel free to send Gary, Naicong or myself your edits any time, if you
want us to put it up.)    (05)

2. A panelist biosketch (generally populated on their "namesake" page
on the wiki), as well as the title and abstracts of his/her
presentation should already be up (on the session page.) If they are
still missing, please send them to us, via this mail thread, ASAP.    (06)

3. Do note the applicable Open IPR Policy -
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32 ... and
that the entire proceedings will be recorded and openly shared (on the
web.)    (07)

4. Kindly look over the page at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpeakerSessionTips ...
especially the section marked "For the SPEAKERS" ... there are
information and guidelines that will prove to be useful when preparing
your presentations.    (08)

5. Slides - preferably in pdf format, with all slides numbered and
with metadata (file|properties) populated - will be due by end-of-day
Tuesday (Sep-4.) They should be emailed to the co-chairs and myself
(you can use this thread too.) ... If you need some extra time, please
make sure you drop us a note, along with an ETA, so we are schedule
other things to accommodate that.    (09)

6. You will need access to a good clean phone or skype connection, and
an Internet browser pointing to the session page, and (on a separate
tab) to the chat-room, to effectively participate. Shared-screen
support is also available, but optional.    (010)

7. During the session, I (Peter) will be advancing slides for you on
your verbal cue. Therefore, please make sure you prompt me each time
you need to advance slides, *and* call out the slide number every
time. (This will help get our async participants in sync - and from
experience, we do have hundred to thousands of times bigger an
audience, than those who will be there in real time.)    (011)

8. As a reference (and to get a feel for how things would turn out
eventually), please take a look at the proceedings of this
EarthScienceOntolog mini-series' kick-off session we had last week,
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_08_23    (012)

Any content issues should be addressed to the co-chairs; feel free to
email or call me any time if you have logistics questions.    (013)

Thanks & regards. =ppy    (014)

Peter P. Yim
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PeterYim
--    (015)