iaoa-general

[iaoa-general] Ontology Summit 2014 pre-launch community input session -

To: iaoa-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Michael Gruninger <gruninger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 20:10:03 -0500

Hello everyone,    (01)

we are getting ready to start Ontology Summit 2014:    (02)

"Semantic Web, Big Data, and Applied Ontology"
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014    (03)

  Description, Goals, and Objectives:
  This is our 9th OntologySummit, a joint initiative by NIST, Ontolog,
NCOR, NCBO, IAOA & NCO_NITRD with the support of our co-sponsors. The
theme adopted for this Ontology Summit is: "Semantic Web, Big Data,
and Applied Ontology"    (04)

  This Summit provides a great opportunity for building bridges between
the Semantic Web, Big Data, and Applied Ontology communities. We would
like to see a number of concrete objectives that we could hopefully
achieve. The Big Data and Semantic Web communities can bring a wide
array of real problems and technologies (e.g. performance and
scalability challenges, automated reasoning tools), while the Applied
Ontology community can bring a large body of knowledge and content
(i.e. ontologies) and ontological analysis techniques.    (05)

  Specific issues we can attempt to address, include:    (06)

* What ontologies are required by the Semantic Web / Big Data applications?
** If these ontologies are not available in any current ontology
repository, how can we engage the applied ontology community to
develop them?    (07)

* Of the ontologies that are being widely used within the Semantic Web
/ Big Data community, what kinds of analysis can be done with them?    (08)

* How can reasoning tools being developed within the Semantic Web /
Big Data community be applied to the ontologies that are being
developed by the applied ontology community?    (09)

* What other semantic technologies can be used to support the ontology
lifecycle? ... (building on the results of last year's Summit).    (010)

Following earlier Ontology Summit practice, the synthesized results of
this season's discourse will be published as a Communique.    (011)

Please mark your calendars and join us at the ...    (012)

(i) (pre-launch) community brainstorm and planning - Thu 2013.12.05 -
starting 9:30am PST / 12:30pm EST / 6:30pm CET / 17:30 GMT/UTC
- details at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_12_05    (013)

(ii) first organizing committee meeting - Fri 2013.12.06 - starting
6:30am PST / 9:30am EST / 3:30pm CET / 14:30 GMT/UTC
- developing details at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014/GettingOrganized    (014)

(iii) OntologySummit2014 Launch Event - Thu 2014.01.16 - starting
9:30am PST / 12:30pm EST / 6:30pm CET / 17:30 GMT/UTC
- details will be at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2014_01_16    (015)

(iv) ... 2-day Symposium which the 3 months' virtual discourse will
culminate into. For this season, this face-to-face event will be
hosted by the NCO_NITRD on (Mon & Tue) 2014.04.28 & 29 in Arlington,
Virginia, USA (near the Washington, DC - Ballston Metro Station.)    (016)

********************* More Details ************************    (017)

* RSVP now and join us at this Thursday's (pre-launch) community
brainstorm and planning session, especially if you want to influence
the program and outcome of this Summit! ... see rsvp details below!    (018)

* Volunteers who want to join us in the organizing committee should be
prepared to participate at the first organizing committee meeting- on
Friday, 6-Dec-2013. (See details on the session page.) This will be a
2-Hr. virtual meeting starting Fri 2013.12.06 - starting 6:30am PST /
9:30am EST / 3:30pm CET / 14:30 GMT/UTC    (019)

* Please also mark your calendars and plan to join us at the
OntologySummit2014 Launch Event, scheduled for Thursday 16-Jan-2014.
This will be a virtual panel session on Thu 2014.01.16 - 2-Hrs.
starting 9:30am PST / 12:30pm EST / 6:30pm CET / 17:30 GMT/UTC    (020)

---    (021)

This, and the rest of the Ontology Summit sessions, like all Ontolog
virtual events, are open and free of charge. Anyone who is interested,
or (better still) who may have something to contribute, is welcome.
Please refer to event details on the session pages, to which the
hyperlink is given above, where you will find session agenda,
conference call dial-in, slides and other pertinent information. Feel
free to pass this invitation along to colleagues who may also find
these sessions to be of interest.    (022)

*RSVP* by emailing Peter Yim at <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> offline (or add
yourself directly to the session page if you are already an Ontolog or
OntologySummit community member) so that we can prepare enough
resources to support everyone. [Please state clearly the title/date of
the session you are registering for in your email.]    (023)

These sessions will be recorded and made available in a publicly
accessible archive. Therefore, before participating, please make sure
you are cognizant of our IPR policy (ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32).    (024)

Looking forward to everyone's participation in these events in
preparation for this coming Summit!    (025)

Michael Gruninger
Ontology Summit 2014 Co-Chair    (026)

and the Ontology Summit Co-organizers,
   ONTOLOG