health-ont

[health-ont] Existing ontology

To: health-ont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Mark Roest <mark.roest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 00:51:28 -0700
Has the group considered the very large medical care ontology embodied in VistA, the VA hospital information management system with hundreds of vertical applications? WorldVistA.org is taking it open source and free, very actively now. If your work can be tailored to augment their work, in collaboration with them, it might strengthen the most important medical informatics system in existence.

[I do not know enough about the technical aspects of your work, or of VistA, to know if it is a fit, and I am not a programmer. But if it would help prepare OpenVistA for being extended into health care knowledgebases, perhaps your involvement would be welcomed.]

VistA has resulted in an 85% reduction in wrong drug administration and top rankings on Quality of Care indices among large hospital systems in the United States. It's defining characteristic is its design for participation by the users in its development and maintenance.

Regards,

Mark Roest

Mark Roest
mark.roest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
oneVillage Initiative - Holistic ICT Development for Eco Living
Sustainable development and technologies
http://onevillagefoundation.org/ovf/initiative.html
1.510-461-6405 (new number, please note)