health-ont

Re: [health-ont] FW: Notice of Formation of the Office of the National

To: "[health-ont] " <health-ont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ROBERT GARIGUE <ROBERT.GARIGUE@xxxxxxx>
From: Rex Brooks <rexb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:39:45 -0700
Thanks Bob,    (01)

I am copying the relevant portion here:    (02)

C. Office of Interoperability and
Standards (ARC): The Office of
Interoperability and Standards (OIS) is
headed by a Director. OIS works with
and coordinates with other offices in
ONC and HHS to provide leadership in
the development and implementation of
a nationwide interoperable health
information technology infrastructure
and advance the development,
adoption, and implementation of
interoperable health information
technology standards. Specifically, in
coordination with relevant HHS offices,
OIS: (1) Fosters mechanisms that
support the secure and seamless
exchange of health information,
including the use of standards, certified
technology, and requirements for a
nationwide architecture; (2) manages
the federal health architecture program
efforts and works with Federal agencies
to ensure that Federal health
information systems are coordinated
and interoperable with any nationwide
interoperable health information
technology infrastructure; (3) advances
the development, adoption, and
implementation of health information
technology standards nationally through
collaboration among public and private
interests that are consistent with current
efforts of the Federal Government; (4)
works with relevant HHS offices to
evaluate mechanisms for harmonizing
security and privacy practices in an
interoperable health information
technology architecture; and (5)
promotes the development of
performance measures related to the
adoption of interoperable health
information technology standards.    (03)

Depending on your email client you may or may not see the bold and
underlined portions I highlighted to draw attention to the most
critical passages (IMO in my opinion, of course). However, these come
in two categories:    (04)

wiggle words such as provide leadership, fosters, advance, relevant,
promotes; and
actionable phrases such as
        -nationwide interoperable health information technology (hit)
infrastructure,
        -secure and seamless exchange of health information,
including the use of standards,
                certified technology and requirements for a
nationwide architecture,
        -advance the development, adoption and implementation of
(hit) standards,
        -coordinated and interoperable with ANY nationwide (hit)
infrastructure,
        -development , adoption, and implementation of (hit)
standards nationally through
                collaboration among public and private interests that
are consistent with
                current efforts of the Federal Government
        -harmonizing security and privacy practices, and
        -promotes the development of performance measures.    (05)

I selected these words and phrases, and highlighted those of
particular interest for our panel discussion in relation to HOW we
can both elucidate issues and take effective action through our
relatively close association with the federal interagency community
which provides us with a lever and fulcrum through the particular
phrase I highlighted, "that are consistent with current efforts of
the Federal Government."    (06)

Without going into particulars, we can point to various efforts which
are already employing ontological features and techniques as well as
making use of specific ontological measurements, such as tabulating
differences between similar standards, as well as comparing and
mapping between standards. With inferencing, provided it can be shown
to be reliable, further uses of ontological practices seems
reasonable and feasible.    (07)

In other words, we can make some of this nebulous and ambiguous
language quite concrete.    (08)

Regards,
Rex    (09)

At 7:26 AM -0700 8/19/05, Bob Smith wrote:
>Hello,
>
>This message arrived from Mari Johnson, of Dr. Brailer's office and
>appears highly relevant to the Ontolog Panel Discussion on this
>coming Thursday, 8/25/05.
>
>Reading the Federal Register paragraphs describing health data
>standard interoperability, harmonization, and implementation may
>imply recognition of ontology perspectives....
>

>Can anyone on this list expand on the semantics used in the Federal
>Register today?
>

>Regards,
>
>Bob Smith
>
>  .